Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do if you suspect a game is being incorrectly traffic shaped

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

What to do if you suspect a game is being incorrectly traffic shaped

If you suspect a game is being prioritised incorrectly on Plusnet's systems you can perform a Wireshark capture and either check the data yourself or submit it on a ticket to Plusnet.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
31 REPLIES 31
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: What to do if you suspect a game is being incorrectly traffic shaped

Note you will have to Upload the pcap file to a host site/website and link it in the ticket.  PN in their Wisdom removed pcap as an attachment type from tickets, reported this months ago and still not fixed.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
You can submit pcap files to tickets - you will need to make sure that there are no spaces in the filename though, and also that the file size is less than 4MB (so only a couple of seconds' worth of capture).
Hope that helps,
Amalea
Dabbler

Thanks for putting this sticky up. As the instructions on the page state add the pcap file to a zip file and then it can be successfully uploaded. I know as I personally failed to read this element until after getting a bit annoyed that the file extension wasn't allowed. Put it down as my personal fail to RTFM Wink
whitstead

Crazy  Hi,
  Looks interesting. I will try this he conventional way has failed. Only get 10 Mbps on Fiber broadband FTTC
Cannot run high speed data games. Advertised 16 average 10 If that was a computer performance ( It would be a Trading Standards Job ) 
unparagoned

You should add a note to tell people to do a complete un-install of wireshark as soon as they have the information required. I'm using windows 8 and wireshark dropped my connection speed down to 2M bits, even when it wasn't in use.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, sorry to hear that though we've had no other reports of Wireshark slowing a network connection down - I assume you've confirmed it definitely was that, and nothing to do with antivirus or firewall software?
deathtrap
Grafter

The problem is for someone who plays online games installed on their PC ,they would have to start wireshark before starting the game in order to capture all the ip's associated with the multilayer game so only a few seconds aint gonna work the file is going to be a lot larger than 4mb and you can't even upload rar .zip files , submitting files made easy not
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

There's no problem with uploading zipped wireshark captures as long as the zip file is under the size limit.
Edit: If you use 7-zip to create the zip file there is an option to create a multi part zip so although it would be a pain uploading each part in turn, effectively there is no limit to the size of Wireshark capture you can upload.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Razer
Grafter

Quote from: deathtrap
... only a few seconds aint gonna work the file is going to be a lot larger than 4mb ...

As per this, I submitted a ticket and got the surprise response that a Wireshark capture was required. I wish the referenced thread would mention that. I digress - I worried about the size but it was fine, and before zipping was only around 800Kb. I captured the starting of the Uplay (ugh) browser and it connecting/signing in, clicking play which loads the single player game which also had to connect to the servers, and then you have to select multiplayer (so inconvenient), then the single player exe quits and the multiplayer exe loads and that too then has to connect to the servers. Then wait for enough players to connect with me before starting. Admittedly I had the never before seen situation of immediate connection of the multiplayer exe followed by the immediate connection to a full set of players. Anyway, my point is that quite a bit was captured and it wasn't so large.
flaminmoses
Grafter

can you change fifas p2p to make it top priority
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

FIFA is already categorised correctly, we've checked many wiresharks and all aspects are correct.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
xand49
Dabbler

Could you check if any issues have arisen with Final Fantasy XIV, since yesterday evening it is consistently spiking for around 5 out of every 10 seconds.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Based on a google search, there are lots of people having problems with FF dependant on the location of their home server.  Looks like it's a problem, on their side.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Firebuoy

Have sent in a ticket for MechWarrior Online... how long does this process take for the traffic to be prioritised?