cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What qualifies as Gaming and/or P2P?

pickwick

What qualifies as Gaming and/or P2P?

...with Plusnet I mean.
I've been with Plusnet just a couple of weeks - so far very satisfied.
Looking at my usage today, I notice that to date 5% is logged as 'Games' and 3% as P2P.  As far as I know I've never played an online game in my life and don't use anything I would think of as P2P.  But to be fair I'm no expert.
A couple of possibilities arise - my wife uses SecondLife occasionally - a sad activity IMHO, but each to their own ::).  And we both use MSN and Skype to talk to family in other parts of the world.  Would they qualify as Gaming or P2P?  Other than that, can anyone say what kind of activity might show up as usage in either category?
This isn't important by the way - it's not straining my usage - just has me wondering.
5 REPLIES 5
alec65

Re: What qualifies as Gaming and/or P2P?

I am pretty sure that SL is classed as gaming. 
Skype might be P2P, not sure.
fourfourdevon
Grafter

Well I've used Skype throughout my time with Plusnet.
Before the problems they had with logging usage it didn't show me using P2P except on those few occasions when I had.
However, since those problems I get all sorts of spurious traffic including P2P.
My conclusion is that Skype isn't counted as P2P and Plusnets measuring system is still faulty.
pickwick

Thanks for the info, people.
As I said, not exactly life and death - just had me wondering.  As long as my total usage stays within the limit I'm happy.  Just seemed odd.
zubel
Community Veteran

As an analogy, imagine the classification system as listening to a conversation and trying to guess the language of each word as it's being said.
For the most part if you're talking English, it will get categorised as English.  However, some words in common English use are actually foreign (Déjà vu for example).  If you are just looking at each word individually, then "Déjà vu" may get classified as French.
Similarly, each traffic type is generally identifiable.  However, some components of that traffic may be ambiguous so the classification system will pick a "best guess" for it.
B.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Second Life is gaming so will be the gaming traffic.
I think Skype conversations look initially as P2P but then as the connection establishes get identifed as VoIP.  This means you'll get a little caught as P2P, but should get a good quality phone converastion.
Also, you've got general "background noise" which can be picked up and popping into different categories.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager