Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What movement keys do you use?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: What movement keys do you use?

Now that's much more polite than the message you just sent to me Bob Wink
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

I always use the cursor keys - being left handed its perfect! Then you have control, shift, return and numpad 0 in close proximity for other high priority keys.
I guess us lefted have been naturally gifted with gaming fingers Tongue
Yadda
Grafter

WASD here.
Shift & Ctrl with my pinkie for walk & crouch, space bar with my thumb for jump.
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

Didn't really see what that had to do with the thread to be honest :S
I find it hard to fit in time gaming, but I tend to like an MMORPG that is sprites-based, and lets you run around the map using just your mouse (not a fan of all this 3D multi-view gunk).
Prod_Man
Grafter

WASD, Arrow Keys, Numpad, JKLI, FGHT xD nah jokeing Cheesy
WASD is what I now prefer because of playing Call of Duty.
I used to play Unreal Tournament with Arrow Keys, and I played Right Handed.
I began to suck so, I tried Call of Duty, I got used to the Keys, Saw abit of an advantage with extra keys to reach for and do things.
I improved, then I switched to being Left Handed with the Mouse.
(I'm Ambidextrous)
I use a Microsoft InteliPoint Mouse (USB).
With a Registry Edit (you can probably do it in Control Panel Somewhere..)
and a Fine tune of the USB Mouse Driver in Windows XP to changed the Sample/Refresh Rate to 250hz ..
and walla best mouse movement i've ever had.
@MikeWhitehead: Lefty's FTW! Cheesy
@BattleRat:
Mr IBM "Eventually (probably) the world will need 5 computers" ..
another quote (forget who by) "A computer will never need more than 640kb of RAM"
(Now called the "Upper Memory" in Modern PC's as a Minimal Cache). Cheesy
Jim,
James
Grafter

Lefty's FTW
Lefty's FTW
!!!
Smiley
Yadda
Grafter

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.   Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: Yadda
I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.  Smiley

Roll_eyes

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Merrick
Grafter

right hander
arrow keys
jump = return
crouch= shift
crawl =ctrl
keypad0 =run/walk
lean left/right =delete/page down
reload =insert
use= end
any other actions like maps or throwing granedes i map to the leter they start with so i can remmber them so M for map etc.
ive been playing like this for years but recently bought the whicher and for some reason stuck with the default wasd and its been ok so may be converted.
BobbyDazzler197

I'm using a cherry keyboard and always use the cursors keys (right-hander too), on this particular one there are no keys close to the cursor ones. (I don't use the WASD for the reason I could accidentally hit another key) My mouse has 2 thumb buttons which are great for mapping to reload.
itchyfeet
Grafter

Well I think you're all boring!  I use a different combination of keys to the rest of you.  Its a combination I started using in the original Quake and have used ever since:
A - Left
S - Right
C - Backwards
F - Jump
D - Crouch
Left mouse - fire
Right mouse - move forward
Space - alternate fire or 'use' depending on game
Q/W - for lean left/right if available
elcottero
Dabbler

WASD for me everytime.
I mainly play FPS games and always configure my Logitech G5 Laser mouse to use buttons for crouch, prone and reload.
Although the G5 mouse is more movement responsive it doesn't beat my previous Microsoft optical intellimouse 4 for ease of button configuration or number of buttons.
wayneb

Well I used to use a PS2 controller and mouse for playing MOHAAS online.
Just used the left thumbstick for movement, L1 Jump, L2 Crouch, lean etc on the d-pad.  Went on like this for nearly three years and loved it and so did my fellow clan members when I turned up for our first LAN party with controller and adapter in hand. Got nothing but stick over it Wink
Then I went out an bought BF2 and the trusty old PS2 controller didn't have enough buttons at hand. Spent a week getting owned whilst getting used to WASD. Wouldn't have it any other way now Smiley
theanorak
Dabbler

Another lefty.
I always used the numeric keypad for ages, and then something came out where there wasn't enough keys nearby. Can't remember what it was - possibly a Mechwarrior game (3?) or it may even have been something like Deus Ex. Actually, I think it was Rainbow Six - all the gocodes and the like. Shifted to WASD and have been vaguely unhappily there ever since.  Life got a lot better when I got a wireless keyboard and could easily shuffle it down the desk for more space between hands.
These days - 360 controller for preference, to be honest. Although, having just bought a shiny new Dell 2408, I may have to put some PC time into something other than Baldur's Gate 2 (which looks scarily good at 1920x1200).
<derailment>Any non-MMORPG, not-available-for-360-or-ps3 recommendations other than Stalker (got) or Crysis (tried the demo, wasn't impressed)?</derailment>
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Being an awkward so and so I use A,D,S and right mouse button for forward mapping the right mouse button defaults to the centre mouse button