cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways of getting better pings?

ITFCdan
Grafter

Re: Ways of getting better pings?

Hi James could you also check mine to i put in a request at the weekend. cheers!!!  (interleaving off)
James
Grafter

Hi Dan,
It hasn't, but I've placed a manual order for your line too, also completing tomorrow.
barney1984

Ames could u get mine changed to i have no idea how to put a ticket in to get it done im new to all this
adie:red All caps removed as per Forum Rules]
James
Grafter

Adie - You might at least have editted my name correctly Wink
barney1984 - I can do so, but there is a risk it could cause your connection to become unstable.  As long as you're aware of that risk I'm happy to place the order.  If your connection does become unstable, I can have interleaving turned back on within a working day.
barney1984

i have managed to switch it off at the members page does it do it automaticaly or do i have to wait a couple days for it to work
Prod_Man
Grafter

Firstly, you need to ask the right questions.
What games are you playing?
Is it actually my Connection or the game Frame Rate inducing latency?
Many games have a means of setting frequency of packets to and from a Server as well as "rates".
Example: Q3: cg_drawFPS 1 & cg_lagometer 1 -> cl_maxpackets x & snaps y,
HL: net_graph 2 -> cl_cmdrate & tickrate[although this is strictly server side unfortunately]...
So check the game network settings are advised,
many players write their own configurations based on System Spec and Network connection.
Once you've assertained that it's not client side induced you should then try the rigmarole of:
Turning on/off Interleaving,
Line Checking,
Checking the bell wire isn't causing maximum rate issues...
Hope this provides a few pointers.
Jim,
barney1984

im actual play counter strike zero
James
Grafter

Barney,
The order will complete tomorrow.
ITFCdan
Grafter

I guess my interleaveing has been turned of i just got results of 21 ms ping using tracert prompt, and my cod ratio has doubled.  Cheesy Cheesy
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi all,
is there any positive way to tell whether interleaving is on or off?
My pings on speedtest.net have gone from 26 in January to around 40.
I have disconnected everything from the master socket and tried my router direct in the test socket (behind the faceplate), no difference.
My Belkin router reports the connection as Fast Path but if I use my old BT Voyager it says the connection is interleaved (this also reports the interleaving depth as 16 downstream and 2 upstream).  The BT router shows a higher line speed (6000kb/s+ compared with typically 5000kb/s on the Belkin) but my speedtest results are pretty consistent at around 3700kb/s with either router, for comparison my best result was 5889kb/s back in January.
Also, how do I 'raise a ticket' please?
Thanks,
Alastair.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Prod_Man
Grafter

Hello walker23,
If you follow the minefield of links through the Help and support pages you can find it.
For simplicity here is the link Here.
I remember upgrading the Firmware for our old Netgear router and it reduced ping times from stable 48 to stable 30's and 35's.
The other thing that I remember from a PlusNet Members webpage is the Bell Wire,
only really applies with older houses from what I knew.
Other than that I can't really lend any other advice than already given in this Topic without repeating myself Smiley
Jim,
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks for the link Prod_Man
raised a ticket and fairly quickly got a response confirming that my line is interleaved.  I was advised that a small change had been made and I should restart my router, I have gained a noticable improvement in download speed but pings are still around 40 (on speedtest.net), I can request they turn off interleaving which should improve pings but I received the obligatory warning about possible stability problems - fair enough.
Whatever the guys at PN did my router stats now show zero errors (after a good couple of hours uptime), I can't remember having zero faults, the first few normally start to clock up immediately after connecting, if it stays this stable then I think I'll go for the Fast Path (interleaving off) option.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.