cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ways of getting better pings?

Cobra90
Grafter

Ways of getting better pings?

I dunno if it just my line, or if I have setup my net wrong...but i'm getting like 60-80 pings in UK/NL/FR/DE servers, when people on same connection (4mb-8mb) getting like 20-40?
I tried turning Inter Leaving off, but my line is very old and it kept tripping out.
Is there any other way I can try to reduce pings to servers?
41 REPLIES 41
Cobra90
Grafter

Re: Ways of getting better pings?

My Uncle is with Sky Broadband, and he was told to tell them to reduce the "max delay"...
...Is this something that can be changed? or has it already been changed....he's gone from 100 pings to 20 now ^^ Cry
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

That only applies to the Sky unbundled equipment, not using the BT equipment.
If switching interleaving off didn't work for you I don't think there is much else to try.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Cobra90
Grafter

Well it worked for me on the ping side, i had 14-20 in uk servers ^^
but it just kept cuttin my net out, as we on a very old copper wire Sad
wacky17
Grafter

Hi i had the same problem but by changing my mtu to 1430 on my router and win xp my ping is more stable. It would be a good idea to check how far you are from the exchange too.
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php
scootie
Grafter

whats your line stats and if there in low rates of 2000kbps-4000kbps cat then i i can advise on how i keep my 51 atten line stable as rock.
the main key to stable fast path long lines is to take a hit on sync rate and lower this abit from what the dslam will sync at.
easyest way to do this with out dmt tool program ect is to do a resync at the noiseist time of day for your line. this will make your line better cope the following day when noise gets high again as your router synced at them line condtions so is unlikely to drop.
if you post your stats from you router ie atten, snr sync rates
my 51db atten line stays connected for weeks on end if i sync it my self with dmt tool to get a ip profile 2500kbps if i let dslam sync me in day time it will sync pushing ip profile 3000-3500 and some times 4000kbps but never stays synced long enough to get the that ip profile
Ray77
Dabbler

Hi there,
I have same problem with ping. 50ms UK servers and 80ms-90ms other in Europe.
What is mtu? Can I change my mtu?
scootie
Grafter

change mtu on your router. max is 1500.  the mtu shouldnt really effect pings unless the packets are being fragment some where long the journey
do you have interleaving on or off?
Euge
Grafter

Actually isn't the max 1472 and then some addition of 28 brings it up to 1500. But the highest you can set it is 1472.
scootie
Grafter

yeah but on your router you add the 28 so its 1500. but like you say if use cmd prmt to test maxium mtu its 1472
Ray77
Dabbler

I do not have interleaving switched off, but maybe I could try it.  Roll_eyes
Ray77
Dabbler

This is from MEMEBER CENTRE:
Interleaving
Interleaving is a form of error correction that helps to improve the stability of high-speed broadband. You currently have interleaving switched on.
While improving stability, interleaving can increase ping times. This can cause problems for online gamers. For this reason, we offer the ability to turn interleaving off.
Warning! Turning interleaving off may reduce the stability of your broadband connection. We recommend leaving it turned on. If you turn interleaving off, there is no option to turn it back on again.

Is not there option to turn interleaving back on if I will have problem without interleaving?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Yes it can be turned on again, you will need to raise a ticket.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ITFCdan
Grafter

i'm on pro package and have the option to turn interleaving off myself (member centre) I'm just paranoid i'll be the one in a million who starts to get errors! Undecided
Euge
Grafter

I was paranoid too dan but tried it yesterday and I get these results

Pings used to be about 40 - 50 sometimes 80ms