cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warhammer Online - packet shaping killing the game?

davidlqs

Warhammer Online - packet shaping killing the game?

Anyone else having issues with Warhammer Online?  The last few days I have been completely unable to play this game.  I can log into my account and select a character to play with, but after a few seconds npcs and other environment elements either disappear or can't be interacted with.  I can't read any chat, although other players can read what I type.
After a bit of research it appears that due to the WAR client using both UDP and TCP it may be treated in the same way as P2P traffic.  It may also be totally out of PlusNet's hands as BT seem to have a very blunt approach to packet shaping once you're onto their wires.  Might try a replacement router to see if the new MAC address lets me play again.
I did download an episode of dirt sexy money for the wife last week using Vuze (first time it's proved to be a useful application lol), I'll be gutted if that has raised some sort of flag on my account at PlusNet.  Well, I won't actually be that gutted, I'll just change ISP and see if that cures the problem.
13 REPLIES 13
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Warhammer Online - packet shaping killing the game?

You're downloading won't have affected your gaming unless you have gone over your usage limit.
Do a wireshark capture to make sure it's been profiled properly http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark_video.shtml
Also if you post your router stats and a speedtest from http://www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk and the profile from http://speedtester.bt.com
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
davidlqs

woah, how fast was that reply!
just did a bt speed test, but closed the page before reading your reply.  Actual through put was about 6500, ip profile was about 7150, so no issues there.  Not sure about the other tests you mentioned, will give them a bash now.
dvorak

OK so your connection seems pretty solid with that kind of throughput.
Did you if you have interleaving switched on or off?
also one other thing to check is your exchange status http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
Customer / Moderator
davidlqs

OK adiewoo, shamelessly keeping you on the line here while Wireshark downloads (slooooowly), I've checked my exchange status and it's all in the green.  Not sure how to check the interleaving, but I'd assume it was set to auto?  In any case this problem is very recent - I've been playing the gane regularly for a couple of months now, but on Monday night it went pear-shaped.
I did install an application from Sony that night, Media Manager, something to do with downloading Sony PSP content.  I've uninstalled it since, and have re-installed the WAR game client (to a different location on my hard disk), so I doubt if it could be causing the problems, but you never know...
RIght Wireshark has downloaded so I'll see what that can tell me.
dvorak

yeah I've got Media Manager for the PSP too, but shouldn't affect things.
Do you use a wireless or wired connection?
Customer / Moderator
davidlqs

Wired connection to a Netgear DG834G.  Snip of router stats attached.
I ran a Wireshark capture right through login to entering the game world.  I can't really interpret the results though - it looks to me as though every entry that has my IP as a destination has a differentiated services field of 0x00 - I've been right through it and they all show the same.  Also every entry that has my IP address as source shows a TCP checksum incorrect.  I tried to attach that too but the file extension isn't allowed.  Not sure what to look for, but certainly no sign of Titanium traffic queuing!
dvorak

Now you're just showing off  Tongue
Can you do a screen grab of the wireshark output.
I'll see if I can find another post to show what I mean.
Customer / Moderator
dvorak

Have a look at this post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,76296.msg612192.html#msg612192 for an example of a highlighted capture.
Customer / Moderator
davidlqs

OK capture attached - not sure if it matters which point of the capture you see - this is about halfway through.
dvorak

Hmm doens't look too good. I'd be tempted to raise a ticket and attach the capture to it.
It should be coming through as Titanium.
What package are you on?
Customer / Moderator
davidlqs

I'm on a Broadband your way package option 2 with 15GB bandwidth included.  I've opened a ticket and attached the pcap file.  Thanks so much for the help adiewoo, I really appreciate it Smiley
dvorak

No worries, I wonder if the ports or something have changed if it's suddenly stopped working. Odd.
Customer / Moderator
scootie
Grafter

been swating up now your flying the flag adie Grin
I can't really interpret the results though - it looks to me as though every entry that has my IP as a destination has a differentiated services field of 0x00

thats due to the packets havent touched the PN network yet so have not been marked yet
edit
sorry read that the wrong way round thought you said source.
g i need to take breaks from the xbox more often still got double vision.
and yes adie i still cant hear anything due to the noise of the fan still going off in my head Cheesy