cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warcraft related UDP packets that look like a DOS attack on new Netgear n1000

plateialumitar

Warcraft related UDP packets that look like a DOS attack on new Netgear n1000

Hi guys,
We were previously using a netgear DG type router (forget the exact product number), which was largely fine. We decided to replace it mostly because it seemed to need restarting more and more. The router we chose is a Netgear N1000. The first one we had kept dropping wireless signal for the machines in the lounge (room directly above where the router is). We checked the channel we were using was ok versus what the houses around us were using etc, no dice. Sent back to ebuyer, they issued a replacement of the same model.
Now we have almost the same issue, but not all wireless drops out. When I switch on my laptop and run WoW, there's suddenly what appears to be a DOS attack (loads of UDP packets sent via the same port). I can do a few (very laggy) things before it kicks me out. My boyfriend's desktop with a wireless card remains connected, but after a while it seems the whole thing drops out (even wired connection goes down).
We've tried blocking that port, didn't seem to help. We think that the packets that look like DOS are probably not bad, it's just that the new router panics over them and reacts more harshly than the older one did.
Any advice appreciated (note, I know this is nothing to do with Plusnet, I'm just out of ideas to sort this issue out and we're probably going to return the router for a refund if there is no solution).
2 REPLIES 2
scootie
Grafter

Re: Warcraft related UDP packets that look like a DOS attack on new Netgear n1000

turn dos attack protection off, or search netgear site for a newer or older firmware version and see if that cures it.
i had the same happen on one of my dg834 v4's picking up port 3074 (xbox live) when i upgraded the firmware so had to re down grade or turn the dos protection off
plateialumitar

Re: Warcraft related UDP packets that look like a DOS attack on new Netgear n1000

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to give that a go tonight. We had further confusion yesterday when the upstairs wireless went down with no sign of a DOS attempt in the logs this time (I wasn't even on my laptop, was playing WoW downstairs on a wired connection which stayed connected). We'll try downgrading firmware as well. That would be humorous if it works however, as loads of people have issues with my model if they DON'T upgrade!  Grin