cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WARNING FOR 360'ers PLEASE READ

Kazbah
Grafter

WARNING FOR 360'ers PLEASE READ

Seen this today, i'm posting this to warn you modded 360 users coz I feel you all need to know.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8354166.stm
Please read and let anyone who you know with a modded/chipped console know
25 REPLIES 25
scootie
Grafter

Re: WARNING FOR 360'ers PLEASE READ

i welcome this and microsoft have been baning people for time allready.
i just wish they would detect and ban people using modded controlers as again thats a breach of terms and condtions.
its right thoe that they should of sent a warning out to give people the chance to save there account and tow the line from then on
Myrddin99

Seems perfectly fair and just to most honest people. The copying of games 'costs' everybody, including the end user. So desist you bandits!
Addnan
Grafter

What Microsoft is doing is perfectly right. Why should anyone get games for free? Support the devs.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Yep, M$ are just carrying out the threat they warned people about 12 months ago. People were warned then that they may loose their Live connections if they have modded their boxes.
Perfectly reasonable action to take - you break the T&C of Live and you lose the facility.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Question is is it feasible to 'unmod' a box or does it mean buying another with the subsequent extra income for M$.
Just a thought Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
scootie
Grafter

from a random blog
What if someone bought an Xbox 360 console which was banned already by mistake? Those consumers who bought modded Xbox 360 by mistake might sell them off to others and move to PlayStation 3 eventually

god knows you need the extra players, ive heard you can fit the entire user base of the ps3 in to party chat session  Grin
Azagoth
Grafter

Can't see the problem!  It's against the rules to use a modded console on-line and if caught you get banned.  What's the problem exactly? 
Lets be honest though, the only reason that 99% of people mod consoles is so that they can play pirated games.  I know it, they know it and Microsoft know it.
SparckZero
Grafter

Strat: I believe that the console serial number itself is banned - you have to buy a new console in order to get back on LIVE.
mgillespie
Grafter

Quote from: SparckZero
Strat: I believe that the console serial number itself is banned - you have to buy a new console in order to get back on LIVE.

It's MAC, IP and Username based.
In short, you need to buy a new console (you will be luky if you can sell the old one now it's banned), create a new Live account ( Xbox Live credit can't be used), and need a IP change.
You also lose all your achievements and XP. 
Serves the 1m or so freeloaders right, game development is expensive enough without teenage freeloaders ripping of game companies.
Fortunately PS3 does have have freeloaders like this, as it's a secure platform.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Quote from: mgillespie
Fortunately PS3 does have have freeloaders like this, as it's a secure platform.

I suspect it's also to do with the games been on blu rather than standard DVD that it hasn't been worth the time and effort to do it.
What happened to saving up and picking and choosing the games you want to buy rather than trying to get everything.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
mgillespie
Grafter

It was interesting that one of my colleagues was grumbling that he and three of his mates had their modded 360's banned yesterday. They have all gone out and bought replacement units just to play COD:MW2.
It's no concidental the timing of the ban, it was done intentionally at the same time as COD:MW2 to ensure Xbox owners go out and buy replacements as they are desperate to play the game.
This scheme sounds like a great plan for MS to (artificially) boost their console sales figures and market share just before xmas, and to help dilute the % number of units that they wrote off due to RROD faults.
Still 1m banned consoles this year alone takes 1m off Microsofts console sales figures, as those 1m consoles are just bin material now.
Myst
Grafter

Whilst i agree that those who have had their service banned is a good thing, as all it does if either push prices up overall or disuades companies from developing new games, i do however wonder how many (and possibly some amongst the replies) are running a non kosher version of Windows, or perhaps same applies for Office/Games etc? - piracy for PC's far outstrip consoles, which i think most people have at some stage had or still has counterfeit software.
Those in glass houses shouldn't throw stones!
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: adiewoo
Quote from: mgillespie

I suspect it's also to do with the games been on blu rather than standard DVD that it hasn't been worth the time and effort to do it.
What happened to saving up and picking and choosing the games you want to buy rather than trying to get everything.

Dunno about that, I'm not a modder (own a PS3!) but if I were to figure out a way to mod the PS3 I'd make it so you can launch the games directly from the hard drive rather than requiring them to be burnt to disc (like modded PSP's) so I don't think its the actual media but the fact the PS3 is built on the cell processor.  I could be wrong but the way I see it, modders try to find an exploit in the software which they can then exploit with a mod so to find the exploit they need to do some wizardry on a PC to find the exploits, a 360 is easy, its basically a PC, the PSP is slow enough that it can be loaded up on a PC to search for issues, the PS3 however is using the cell processor and the software is dedicated to that so its practically impossible for them to fiddle with the software on the PS3 to find an exploit.  Which is brilliant!  I don't think its even possible to access the PS3's firmware when you have Linux running on the PS3 so it is very secure.  As the PS3 can be linked up and turned into a super computer, that makes it even harder for modders to have a crack at it, PC vs Super Computer, round 1, Fight!  Crazy
mgillespie
Grafter

PS3 has been on the market 3 years soon (in the US at least), and it's never been cracked/broken.  That's a pretty good testement to how well security is implemented by Sony, and nothing really to do with Blu-Ray not being big in the consumer space (there are plenty of people with Blu-Ray burners, but still 0% piracy on PS3).
It's also the reason why PS3 is seeing studios move to that as it's primary platform, because games sell better because there is no piracy.
Back on topic, BBC have updated their article:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8356621.stm
1m Xboxes that are bin material it seems (some might argue that alll 30m of them are bin material).