cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ventrilo - Host at Home or Pay to use

Spider
Grafter

Ventrilo - Host at Home or Pay to use

I am currently experimenting with Ventrilo Server and so far it is working well. Their is a limit of 8 clients on the free version so was looking at the options of renting space from a company for up to 15 clients. Had a quick look at some of the companies offering this but have no real idea how to compare them. So therefore I am looking for any suggestions / experience you might have of these various companies.
Any help would be much appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Niyx

Re: Ventrilo - Host at Home or Pay to use

The only company on that list that I've had any contact with is Instant ventrillo. We currently have a 50 slot server with them for two raiding groups for warcraft. They are very stable, my ping on a full server is generally 36-50ms which is good considering we usually have around 10 people talking at the same time...
Their customer support is generally good, although sometimes it can seem nothing gets done for days then all your tickets seem to get processed at once for some unknown reason.
Prod_Man
Grafter

Hello there,
If it was me I would first try and check out any Existing Servers each Company already has,
Then you can see which Service(s) give your groups the best connection overall.
Personally, I wouldn't use Ventrilo.
I would use TeamSpeak as it offers optimal control over your available network bandwidth for Voice communication.
You can select the encoding and bit rate, and allocate upper limits for both upload and download - less chance of bandwidth invasion to interupt your Game play.
Just an alternative to consider, as Ventrilo does you fine go with what you know.
Jim,
Spider
Grafter

I didn't know either at the start but some of the people are using the facility had great problems with Teamspeak but not Ventrilo. Currently using my home server is working fine and their as not been the demand to have more than 8 people on at once. Only think I had to change was the protocol so that Mac users could gain access.