Did you mean: 

UK games market being 'strangled'

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

UK games market being 'strangled'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8210622.stm
Is this a reasonable comment
Certainly given the huge disparity between Euro zone and UK prices on Steam it may have some merit with respect to pricing differences
7 REPLIES 7
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: UK games market being 'strangled'

Maybe if said company didn't use such useless copy protection they might get sales.  If its their name on the box as a distributor for a pc game I won't buy them, past history has shown they don't listen and use copy protection that can cripple pc's with over active and unwanted big brother.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Euge
Grafter

If they're going to continue to charge prices I can't afford then I'm going to continue searching for places where I can pick it up for £20. They seem to misunderstand that people like the second hand option because they can't afford the original cost. Someone that buys a second hand copy is taking away the possible sale of the brand new £40 package rather, just another person that gets to play their game that otherwise wouldn't have.
Loon
Grafter

I like the way they forget that they probably only sell as many new games as they do because people know they can get something back for it when finished! It's not like games are getting longer and better value for money!
Bit like the crying over illegal downloads. Have you lost the sale if that person was not going to buy it in the first place?
Rob
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

If the publishers brought out there titles at a price where everyone could get a copy on release then they would have a smaller piece of everybodys pie, I guess though the 2nd hand copies would drop in price comparitively with it  Undecided
At between £35>£50 for new releases thats a decision I need to make, I generally only pay top dollar for a game if its a series I love & have been following for a while. Any others I get when there cheap enough and I have some spare coin.
WAW for instance I got considerably later than most because I'm not that into ww2 FPS. I only got it because it was £20 and my friends were playing it, have I had any less enjoyment out of the game for £20 less? I don't think so. The publisher had his money, a third party has a successfull business stocking these titles for customers and I get a cheap game, everyones a winner  Cool
The problem with gaming I see is its at the forefront of must have technology, your average punter can't financially keep up with whats coming out as much as they would like to. That will always breed a second hand market.
Should Sony be entitled to a cut of the money when you sell your 720hd tv second hand to someone so you can buy a 1080hdtv?
Like any business if they are not getting a (BIG ENOUGH) return on their production then they need to look at what they are doing wrong & stop churning out new release after new release creating this market for finished or unwanted games.
An average showroom car will lose £2000.00 when it drives off the fore court how can the dealers compete with this market? they just do its part of life so the developers just need to crack on with it.
Sorry for the edits but just had a brain wave  Smiley A way to cut out the market would be for developers to make people have the original disc for the title so that any following games in this series would need it to install. Then do the game cheaper for people with the original disc  Undecided That way peolpe wouldn't sell it and wait to see if it got better making it more important for devs to bring out better quality games.
scootie
Grafter

Then do the game cheaper for people with the original disc 

does that mean i have to take my previous installments of the series to the shop with me to claim the cheaper price.
ad just lend my copys to any m8s that hadnt got the full seris so they to could get the cheaper price to
Grff
Grafter

They also seem to forget the money they make on DLC. 
If I buy a game, buy the DLC, then trade it in.  There's a chance the next owner will buy the DLC too, thus giving them twice the money on the DLC.
If only one person buys the game, that's just one sale of the game, and one DLC  too.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

does that mean i have to take my previous installments of the series to the shop with me to claim the cheaper price.

No thats just ridiculous, the shop shop would sell you the cheaper version whatever, why would you buy the cheaper version without having the original to make it work?
ad just lend my copys to any m8s that hadnt got the full seris so they to could get the cheaper price to

Then they would have to take turns in coming round your house to borrow the original disc which I believe is the way anyway. All games have a serial which if two people or more try to play online the serial gets blocked.  Undecided
A working scenario would be for instance.
I buy COD MW for £39.99 on release, as Griff mentioned I buy Map packs other content as and when. The Dev & Pub get there money.
COD WAW comes out, being of a  different game engine & too large for download its released on disc £25.00 for an update too MW or £39.99 full game. Nobody who likes the series will sell their original disc cutting down on the second hand market. The Dev & Pub get there money.
COD MW2 Comes out..... I think you can see where I'm going with this.
A similar thing happened with Battlefield PC, with its special forces and european war add-ons I keep the original to play the add-ons.
Jim asked about what we thought about the video this is just a suggestion of an alternative I think might work, there is always software piracy,hacks & cracks but that makes things even worse for the publisher so no point going there.
Summing up I don't think the devs have the right to complain about th UK 2nd hand market when they are bringing out games and their previous title in the series is still full of bugs, glitches and problems.
If they make the original version as good as it can get and improve it with add ons by listening to the fan base of that title people won't trade in thier discs.