Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic shaping only out going?

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Traffic shaping only out going?

Lately been having issues with Lotro and after testing in some instances I have noticed that all Out going traffic is correctly prioritised as Gold/Titanium, but unless I am reading the packet captures wrong all incoming traffic is bronze which seems to be causing the good old rubber band lag or worse being stuck unable to move/do any actions.
So to PN, is the traffic management only Outgoing and not incoming and if so why?
ticket 40681530 for the capture in question
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
2 REPLIES 2
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Traffic shaping only out going?

It's more likely the reverse actually
Incoming traffic will have been classified by the Ellacoyas.  Outgoing traffic won't have passed through the Ellacoyas yet, so will appear to be unclassified.  This is expected behaviour
B.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Traffic shaping only out going?

Quote from: Gus
So to PN, is the traffic management only Outgoing and not incoming and if so why?

The outbound traffic you're sniffing hasn't been anywhere near our network so there's no way it can have had a ToS marking applied. Like Barry says, it's the inbound packets you need to be looking at. I often find it helps to lright click your IP in the destination field and apply a filter based on that. This removes all the outbound packets from view and saves any confusion.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵