cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic priorisation problem - Is everyone on holiday?

shazwildcat
Dabbler

Traffic priorisation problem - Is everyone on holiday?

Hi
just wondering if there's something slowing down the support response times as I've had a question in since last week about my traffic prioritisation and after an initial bump to the relevant department its all gone quiet. If any plusnet staff can look into this my ticket number is 29679059 .
In brief, my COD4 traffic seems to be getting picked up as 0x80 not 0xa0 - I'm on Pro package. Had a similar problem when I first started with Plusnet, so I hope I won't have to keep getting it checked...(the cynic in me wonders if it gets dropped to a lower priority until you complain, but I'd be happy to be proved wrong)
I did ask for an update on Tuesday through the ticket system , but still no word. Even a "we're working on it' would be nice.
thanks muchly
6 REPLIES 6
scootie
Grafter

Re: Traffic priorisation problem - Is everyone on holiday?

James
Grafter

Hiya - I've asked someone to have a look at your ticket for you.
shazwildcat
Dabbler

Thanks James, I finally got an answer on this.
Seems the servers I play on are not using default ports for COD4, probably because the clan uses one server for several instances of Cod4.
The default port for Call of Duty 4 is 28960, it looks like this traffic is using 28932 although the source port is 28960
Support says if I can check that the ports will remain static for a while they will consider adding them to the database. Not sure I want to go down that route because its a tactic used by several clans and I don't want to be wasting gaming time checking ports all the time.
Will see how my connection holds up and maybe look for games on standard ports - shame though - UBB are one of the best Free For All servers going.
scootie
Grafter

your on the pro package so the lowest prioity you get is gold which shouldnt cause a problem with latency
is this not the case as your other thread just says  you was worried that the vmbu wasnt recording any gaming traffic
the whole idea of the pro package is so pc gamers dont have to worrie about games not having sigs ready for them or for people that want all traffic at line speed
shazwildcat
Dabbler

my daughter and her boyfriend have been cranking up my usage so just had to switch to unlimited
I kept asking what my daughter had been doing on the internet and she said not much, and I don't allow any filesharing on pc's at home, then she suddenly remembered the boyfriend uses our broadband when he brings his mac round and that has an infamous filesharing app on it !!! - had to have serious words and hopefully he'll not use my line for that anymore
should still get priority for gaming on unlimited though, shouldn't I ?
thx for advice also to asbodog Smiley
scootie
Grafter

yeah am on unlimited and xbox runs fine.
As your pc gamer thoe as youve found out all ready plusnet may not have sig for  a game or the server u use dosent use the normal ports ect for that game.
Being on unlimted means you may have to capture the games traffic and if it isnt picked as 0xa0 (titanium gaming traffic) you will have to raise a ticket and add the capture so PN can create a sig which normaly takes a week to go live as unlimited the traffic could be as low as p2p where pro the lowest was streaming.