cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic management

Justin7
Grafter

Traffic management

I have noticed that when playing Destiny on PS4 that my traffic stats on the Plusnet usage page shows p2p usage. Seeing as this may mean that traffic is not prioritised as gaming I assume this will potentially mean the traffic will be degraded across Plusnet systems.
Do Plusnet usually update their systems to account for new traffic patterns as games and devices are developed ?  Could it be that maybe they haven't done this one yet?
13 REPLIES 13
Dhaos
Grafter

Re: Traffic management

You tried wireshark to see what its classed as?
Justin7
Grafter

Not able to wireshark the data as its on console but I can see that the p2p stats increased the days I played destiny.  Do Plusnet test these games or do we have to provide captures ourselves?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Justin7
Grafter

Thanks for the link.  Does this mean the data will be a low priority across the Plusnet network?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

No necessarily
The only effect of traffic shaping under normal conditions is to prioritise data on your connection.
So if somebody else in your house was streaming video and this saturated your connection it would have a higher priority than P2P but a lower priority than regular gaming http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/traffic_management.shtml
Justin7
Grafter

Thanks again.  So is normal conditions in the evenings and weekends? ! I had assumed that priority for this traffic was low regardless of Plusnet conditions.  Please excuse the ignorance!
Oldjim
Resting Legend

From the link posted
What happens when the network is really busy?
Sometimes our network is under extreme load (such as when there's a major network outage or a major news event). On these occasions we need to manage traffic more than we would like.

Basically given the present forward planning there isn't any global traffic shaping
petejackson
Grafter

Hi all, just to let you know we've added a whole raft of new signatures to our traffic management platform this afternoon, one of which is Destiny.  You shouldn't see this being picked up as P2P now and hopefully you'll notice the difference at very busy periods on the network. Or should I say, won't notice any difference due to the network being busy.
Justin7
Grafter

Hi Peter,  thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you included Destiny in your recent updates to traffic management. 
As new games get released is there an easy way for us to check if a game's traffic type is included in the Plusnet systems?  No doubt there will be plenty of new releases leading up to christmas- call of duty, fifa, diablo, etc, etc!
Dhaos
Grafter

There used to be a sticky thread about the games that had profiles, but i suppose with the amount of new games that come out its a chore to keep updated.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

and also many console games are just detected because they use standard xbox/ps connectivity/ports.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Justin7
Grafter

Well I'm happy it's been updated for Destiny at least.
Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

Out of curiosity Kelly, when a new game comes out, is it compulsory for Plusnet to buy you a copy so you can extensively test it on their network .... ?  Grin