cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic management incorrectly identifying data as p2p

Justin7
Grafter

Traffic management incorrectly identifying data as p2p

I have been checking my usage stats and noticed that traffic is showing up in other and more concerning as p2p. I am definitely not using any p2p programs but the only difference in usage has been that I've been playing plenty of Destiny on PS4.
Has this game been correctly added to traffic identification?
Also does traffic identified as p2p or other get slowed down?
28 REPLIES 28
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Traffic management incorrectly identifying data as p2p

Only on your connection
To clarify
If you have something which is identified as P2P then it will have a lower priority than other things such as streaming and general browsing
So if the thing which is being misidentified is on line gaming you may have a problem
However Destiny seems to use some P2P http://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/26z959/is_destinys_networking_p2p_or_clientserver_ba...
Justin7
Grafter

Thanks for your quick reply!
I see from that reddit link it does imply some p2p in the way Destiny works. I play CoD too but that uses some p2p too but never seen that being identified as anything other than gaming traffic.
Happy to hear that traffic management is just specific to the connection but of course that isn't the only data on my connection at one time!
Is there a way for that kind of p2p traffic to be identified as gaming instead?
Also if you have ample bandwidth (I have fibre) left after trying to game and say stream at the same time is the effect on the p2p traffic to slow it down or is that just when bandwidth is at a premium?
Thanks for your help!    Smiley
Oldjim
Resting Legend

it is only when you hit the overall bandwidth limit
Justin7
Grafter

Ok, thanks, glad to read it's only when using all the available bandwidth that it has an effect.
Is it possible  the p2p destiny game data could be identified as gaming traffic?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I have no idea so I have moved this to the Gaming Board
Justin7
Grafter

Ok, thanks for your help.
Hopefully someone from Plusnet who knows about the traffic identification system will see it.
Justin7
Grafter

Anyone from Plusnet on yet who might be able to advise? 
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Justin,
I would expect that this will be included in gaming soon, I think the reason this has sat outside thus far is due to the game being in beta. I'll have a chat with our resident traffic expert and confirm what we'll be doing with regards to this for you.
As far as the match making works, Destiny is pretty unique in the way it presents an MMO play space with I believe to be constant p2p match making. Given this is a new way of doing things and Bungie signing a 10 year content/sequel deal, I would think it something we may see a lot more of this p2p traffic in more commercial console gaming.
Anywho, I'll update you if we end up classifying the data in a different way or have plans on changing anything  Wink
Justin7
Grafter

Hi Adam
Thanks for taking the time to look into this and reply.
I would be interested to hear how traffic management could take account for this game.
I think you are right in thinking Bungie will be using this p2p tech in the future. It is a hybrid FPS MMO that plays like a cross between halo and wow. The beta plays well and it's looking like they have come up with a quality game that may end up having lots of followers.
If your traffic management guru needs to get in on the beta it's not too late - there's at least a week or so left.
wo0x
Grafter

The game runs fairly well in explore mode with players dropping in and out, but there are serious lag problems in 'Crucible,' which is the player vs player element. PSN has been throwing a wobbler all weekend, though, hopefully things are improved upon release.
*edit* I just checked my usage and I have zero P2P listed. I have played a lot of Destiny since the Beta started.
Justin7
Grafter

Hi
I was surprised to see you had no p2p traffic on your stats.
Have you been playing on ps4 and have you been playing crucible, tower and earth coop ?
wo0x
Grafter

Hi,
Yes, I've been playing on PS4 and I have put a considerable amount of time into all modes.

Cheers,
Wo0x.
Justin7
Grafter

Thanks for the info.
I see your graph shows no p2p is the p2p value in the breakdown 0 also? Is your other usage same as usual?
I noticed on my stats a mixture of p2p and other since I've been on  destiny.
wo0x
Grafter

It shows 22.74MB under P2P.
I know that my Netflix streaming on PS4 is represented on the graph under 'web' instead of streaming.  There have been several threads about the usage being displayed incorrectly, such as this one http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,128358.msg1115633.html#msg1115633 I was told mine was something to do with the ports the streaming service uses.