cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Titanfall's Internet Requirements and Priority met with Plusnet?

DJY007

Titanfall's Internet Requirements and Priority met with Plusnet?

Q1 - Can plusnet confirm that newly released Titanfall for PC is being correctly prioritised please?
Q2 - I do wonder if poor upload speeds on my plusnet serevice are responsible, if it's not prioritisation?
I had issues with persistant "reconnecting to server" error messages in-game multiple times per minute during the beta phase last month, that i put down to beta stress testing.  However, I still have this issue now in the final version that I have tried playing yesterday and today.
Titanfall's minimun requirements are:
"ONLINE CONNECTION REQUIREMENTS: 512kbps down and 384kbps up or faster Internet connection."
My upload speeds seem limited to 0.4 mbps on a good day and fluctuate wildly as per speedtest.net and windows 8.1's performance monitor.
Wifi router resets, disconnects for 15 minutes, hard LAN wired play, disabling my firewall, every other wifi device in household off, makes no difference.
I only have this issue with Titanfall.  I play many other online games (without the higher upload speed requirement such as Payday2, Saints Row, CoD, victory racing, warframe, Grid2 etc) with very infrequent disconnects, high ping spikes, or problems whatsoever - even with other devices connected to my network  which is why I have been a Plusnet customer forever.
Any assistance and confirmation appreciated.
18 REPLIES 18
quige
Dabbler

Re: Titanfall's Internet Requirements and Priority met with Plusnet?

Can I second this question as I am getting pretty much the same behaviour. Like DJY007 I put previously it down to server stress testing issues during the beta, but now the full game is out I am still constantly getting issues with server connection timeouts. This particularly happens if I back out of a lobby, or when I get to the end of a campaign run, though can happen at the end of matches at other times..
Tonight I was trying to play with friends and had constant problems responding to their invites and getting into their lobby, even though we were hooked up and talking via a Live party OK. They report that they aren't getting this sort of thing happening though they are with other ISPs.
Often after a server disconnect it seems like I'm 'blacklisted' or something for a period of time. The game sits there counting up to 10 and then starts again for ages. Sometimes if I switch datacentres I can fool it and get back to the screen where you select Campaign or Classic. Other times if I go right back to the front screen and reselect my Xbox profile and log back in it sorts it out.
It's extremely frustrating when all you want to do is get back into a game or keep having to ask friends to send yet another invite so you can try and join them.
The Xbox One network multiplayer test says I have Open NAT (cone) and 20Mbps down and over 3.5 Mbps upload, though with 1% or so upload packet loss, so I don't think it's a bandwidth issue. I have a static IP set on the XO and it's configured as the DMZ IP.
sully72
Grafter

exactly the same thing  happening to me getting a bit annoying now.
sully72
Grafter

quige what router are you using when using 582n i get 7% upload packet loss but  using dgn2200 i get no upload packet loss
quige
Dabbler

TG582n FTTC configuration. It's pants imo. I've just ordered a Fritzbox 3390, but if it's happening with different routers it sounds like it probably isn't the router itself.
dick:quote
sully72
Grafter

hooked up my netgear had about 10 games on campaign had no lost connection to servers backed out a few games halfway through  to see if i would loose connection no problems seems to me probs with the tg582n. sticking with the netgear
quige
Dabbler

Quote from: sully72
hooked up my netgear had about 10 games on campaign had no lost connection to servers backed out a few games halfway through  to see if i would loose connection no problems seems to me probs with the tg582n. sticking with the netgear

Well that's encouraging. I used to use a Netgear when I was on ADSL but can't at the moment now I'm on FTTC. Hopefully the change to the Fritz!box will help after all!
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Q1 - Can plusnet confirm that newly released Titanfall for PC is being correctly prioritised please?

We've got a signature to add this to our traffic management platform and we expect this to happen over the next few days.
Q2 - I do wonder if poor upload speeds on my plusnet serevice are responsible, if it's not prioritisation?

Happy to uncap your upload and see if that helps too?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
quige
Dabbler

Quote from: Chris

We've got a signature to add this to our traffic management platform and we expect this to happen over the next few days.

Sorry, so does this mean that there definitely are problems with the way you're prioritising the Titanfall traffic that explains the problems we've been having?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

It means that a signature is being created for this game. Signatures are required for games so that it's recognised by our Traffic Management Platform.
The very same thing happened on DayZ Standalone a week or so back - this has now been added.
quige
Dabbler

It means that a signature is being created for this game. Signatures are required for games so that it's recognised by our Traffic Management Platform.
The very same thing happened on DayZ Standalone a week or so back - this has now been added.

With all due respect Chris that doesn't actually answer my question. I understand that the signature is required for the traffic of a particular game to be recognised by the Traffic Management Platform. What am trying to ask and find out, is , whether once the signature is added whether you expect the problems I/we have been experiencing will stop.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Honestly I don't know as we don't know what's causing the problems you're seeing. Prioritising the game in our traffic management systems means it'll take priority over anything else you're doing on your line at the same time. However if it's the upload speed you're having problems with, then no this is very unlikely to fix it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
quige
Dabbler

Honestly I don't know as we don't know what's causing the problems you're seeing. Prioritising the game in our traffic management systems means it'll take priority over anything else you're doing on your line at the same time. However if it's the upload speed you're having problems with, then no this is very unlikely to fix it.

OK I guess we'll have to wait and see. As I said above I don't think it's an upload speed issue for me, though I am getting some upload packet loss according to the Xbox One network test.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@op Going by a quick google its a typical EA release, its been doing that since beta in February.  EA force release buggy games and have done for years, wait for a major patch then try again.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
DJY007

Yes, the same happened during the beta phase as I said.  I had cancelled my pre-order post-beta, but at £30 for the pc digi deluxe I couldn't resist their swanky marketing  Cheesy despite my poor beta experience.  I had hoped it would be resolved at gamma having raised the issue with Respawn alongside many others co-posters, but no, it's still an issue and unplayable!
I hope Chris' titanfall signature will solve the issue, else the upload cap increase to push above Titanfall's minimum requirement.  That's most encoraging thank you.
It would be helpful Chris if you could post here when this signature has actually been applied to your gubbins so we can see ourselves whether it makes any noticable difference or not.
Obviously I will post here should any improvement be noticed given it is affecting several of us.
There are a whole raft of disconnection threads across many forums regarding this, and similar connection poroblems.  Most suspicion, traceroutes, logging and testing falls to ISPs as Titanfall is unusually rigid in its minimum internet requirements and port forwarding.  For example, in Australia it's narrowed to a port 80 issue with the country's largest ISP, with xbox it's ISP port openings in general suspected.  Something to do with ISP fear of fair-use breach due to personal website hosting traffic - rather than playing Titanfall or firewall protection!  I don't pretend to understand  Huh  There's another suspicion it's older routers at fault (Belkin are releasing a router upgrade patch for example so I keep watch on Netgear's forums too (my router)) and of course the most likely explanation is shoddy EA coding and poor compatability testing. 
However, many thousands of players have no issues whatsoever on pc/ xbox and i am/we are clearly in the minority.  What annoys me most is I do not have this with ANY other online game so there must be a specific reason and a setting to change somewhere.  EA has not yet announced any forthcoming patch that I am aware of either.  Cry  I've tried all-sorts since release, but i'm no expert and struggle with much of the techie details and potential fixes, hence I came here to the most likely company that can help solve my issue.
I just want to enjoy and play the game...