cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tips on xbox 360 and Call of Duty, please.

geewizz
Grafter

Tips on xbox 360 and Call of Duty, please.

I have a friend who has an xbox 360 and mainly plays Call of Duty. He invited me to play on it a few weeks ago and I found myself getting beaten into a pulp every few seconds. Last time I played on a games console was the original playstation in about 1999.  The controller on the 360 had loads more buttons and wasn't intuitive for someone who used just one movement joystick and the X button. Does anyone have any tips on what I could do between now and the beginning of next year in order to get good at this game and kick his ass into oblivion when I next visit him?
I guess my first move would be to buy an xbox and a copy of COD. Do I need to buy a specific machine and are there any advantages with accessories which I could buy?
27 REPLIES 27
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Tips on xbox 360 and Call of Duty, please.

Get one, get online and practice. I have it on the PS3 and when I first played it regularly got my ass kicked.
However the more you play, you learn the maps and what weapons suit you. Rack up the hours and you will get better.
Job done.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
geewizz
Grafter

I couldn't even control my weapon (a criticism I have had from previous girlfriends too) and I found it impossible to stay alive for long enough to find out how to move. Is there a practice mode you can use to get the basics without an opponent to kill you before you've looked from the controller to the screen?
dvorak

There is a normal game mode which you play as part of a team, first phase is getting used to controls and shooting.
Customer / Moderator
scootie
Grafter

yep i had same problem as your self couldnt move 5 feet with out dying online as i only got my xbox a few months ago so was behind every one else in exprince. all you can do is stick with it. learn the maps and what guns setup suits you best on each map. havent played it inwhile so cant rember the name of the gun but when online create a class and choice assault and the the first gun and put the stopping power and damage perk on. couple of bursts from this puts any one down good starter setup.
And if your pals on xbox and you want to play him on line you need to get the xbox not ps3. And with all gaming connections a wired one to your router is much better than wireless but if this is not possable then you will need to buy microsofts xbox wireless adapter which i think is about 60 pounds new. i use mine wired and wireless(when im kicked of the widescreen for the like of eastenders) but i wire my xbox to the pc and use its wireless connection can be hard to setup but i wasnt paying 60 pounds for a wireless adapter but surrpose microsoft need to make there profit some where as they dont make it on the console its self.
in my opion the xbox beats the ps3 on all but slightly better graphics but as the new consoles are all about online play the xbox has that hands down. my friend sometimes cant find people to play on some of the slightly older games on ps3 where on the xbox you dont have this problem.
geewizz
Grafter

No, I have no intention of playing him online. As I said, I want to be able to kick his butt when I next visit him. That would be on his xbox.
bhg

The truth from a sad man who played every day for six months is... practice.
More than being super quick with the weapons is knowing the maps with your eyes shut.
If you know the choke points, the short cuts, etc. you should be able to slap your mate around.
I traded the game, but think I might pick it up again in the near future.
If you're on Live, I'll let you know when I have it and I'll happily show you some sneaky stuff.
Another tip is your choice of perks. Many people rush for the red dot sight, which is great for aiming.
If you choose a silenced weapon and radar jammer, you will always be invisible to him, allowing for a more sneaky, back stabby approach to playing, ( A style my OLD crappy Virgin connection forced me to adopt  Roll_eyes ).
geewizz
Grafter

ok, I'm beginning to wonder if I've got the wrong end of the stick here. Is it possible for me to buy an xbox360 and practice COD on my own without going online? I mean, I don't need an opponent to familiarise myself with walking, running, crouching, navigating, aiming etc.
dvorak

Yes.
Customer / Moderator
geewizz
Grafter

Perfect Smiley
Thanks adiewoo. I can now start planning my revenge. If I hadn't backed my van into a house wall this morning then I could have gone out and purchased an xbox this afternoon. Instead I will have to wait and see if there's any cash left in the budget once my van has been to the van hospital.
bhg

It most certainly is !!
The maps you use for offline multiplayer can be accessed alone, and you can familiarise yourself with their layout, although it would seem to be a rather boring exercise  Grin
The single player will teach you all the controls.
Is your friend a drinker ? I suggest a few strong mixers for him, and a strong coffee for you and the bias will be in your favour.
Seriously, online play has a huge percentage of idiots who can ruin the experience, but the friends list on Live is there for a reason.
If you don't care for the experience or the expense, that is your choice.
I personally only buy games for the online multiplayer. I belong to two different communities of gamers where the requirement to join is that you are 25 + years old. I have a friends list exclusively of players that I can relate to and enjoy playing for bragging rights and laughs as a diversion from the daily grind.
I hope you enjoy your COD 4 if you decide to buy. If you're ever tempted, you can get a free month Gold trial on xbox Live, and I would be happy to see you.
Ben
geewizz
Grafter

He's 15 and I'm 40. It's ok though, his mum is my partner. Grin
I have a very short-sighted goal in getting the 360. I only want to get a hang of the controls without getting shot before i can find out what each button does. That's what happened when I visited him and he showed me the game. I gave up after half an hour because it wasn't much fun. Smiley
So, if I get a 360 and have a little bit of time on my own then I can surprise him sometime in the future and we can have a slightly more entertaining experience.
Thanks for everyone's help. It really is appreciated.
(Don't expect me to ever go online with this new skill though. That's not the purpose of this exercise for me. ;D)
dvorak

You might get a bit of a cheaper one if you buy second hand from gamestation or game if that's all you want it for.
Customer / Moderator
geewizz
Grafter

I hadn't thought of that. Is there anything I should watch out for when purchasing a secondhand console?
scootie
Grafter

hit and miss realy with the xbox as they had to extend the warrnty to 3 years due to there being a problem with the early ones as alot where braking down. But my friend has had his since a month after they where launched and his is still going good.
so buying sechond hand from gamestation isnt a bad idea as they test em before buying em. But steer clear of ebay
And you say you dont want to go online but i can gurrante that once you have activated your months free membrship to see what its all about you will be hooked. i hardly play the single player mode as im obessed with being top of the leaderboards
currently hooked on grid and annoying alot of people in open wheel mode.
its not the taking part that counts its the winning hehe