cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thompson 585v7 Port Forward Problem

Adept
Dabbler

Thompson 585v7 Port Forward Problem

Has this worked because i am trying to port forward for CyberGate and uTorrent and am having problems also. Portforward.com is not clear and it does not seem that there are any instructions on how to do this, ANYWHERE. I am going to try what you have said now and i will report back. I have port forwarded with various routers and never had a problem before. Am i to believe that if i forward the port correctly and then run the listening daemon then connect to canuseeme.org and type in the port then if it is forwarded then it will say yes it can see the listening daemon. I am getting mad about this. I will do it now.
24 REPLIES 24
Adept
Dabbler

Re: thompson 585 v7 portforward problem

Ok I have done the following things:
port forwarded to 81. from 81 to 81 both options on any and the the following fields left blank. Tried with upnp on and off. Restarted the router. None of these work. i still get this error from canyouseeme.org
Error: I could not see your service on 87.114.187.20 on port (81)
Reason: Connection timed out
Nothing i do works and there are no instructions on the internet that work about how to port forward with this router. What should i do?
Adept
Dabbler

Re: Would you replace a D-Link with a Thompson?!!!

It seems that plusnet are a pain in the ass isp. Man i think i may have been too hasty to join up. I also can't port forward with the thompson router and when i rang techsupport [UK] they told me it was the only router they supply. I think i am an advanced user and have port forwarded many routers before even for my friends and family and the thompson dg585v7 is by far the hardest to configure router i have ever used. Cannot turn off dhcp? Cannot port forward? Cannot do just about anything. I am thinking of doing a plusnet rape over all the forums if the support staff continue to deny responsibility then i figure that the people that get ripped off by plus net have the responsibility to make a scene about it. I am going to make a thread entitled [Plusnet Does Not support Portforwarding and Xbox live.]
That way we can ask members to post if they have every been able to port forward with plusnet and if so, how they did it.
Adept
Dabbler

Plusnet Don't Support Port forwarding. Or XBOX LIVE

Does Port forward work for you? If so please state your router model and method of port forwarding which will be greatly appreciated by us fellow plusnet users.
Does XBOX Live Work for you with unrestricted NAT? If so once again please state your router model and method of success. I look forward to a solution to this problem for everybody. Thanks in advance  Crazy Cheesy
Edit: Xbox Live works please click here: http://192.168.1.254/cgi/...&tid=ASSIGN_PUBL_ADDR
and add your xbox to the DMZ to allow for open NAT settings

Plus net do not support port forwarding and when i rang the techsupport line they said they were not qualified to teach me how to port forward i would have to ring thompson. This is the first ISP I have ever used where the tech support tell me they are not qualified to give instructions on port forwarding. And they also tell me that they only stock 1 router the Thompson DG585v7.
jim:red Excessive formatting removed as this is classed as shouting mod:end
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Plusnet Don't Support Port forwarding. Or XBOX LIVE

I use Linksys WAG54 routers and have had four different models, and port forwarding works just fine.  I have used "Single Port Forwarding", "Port Range Forwarding", and "DMZ" with various servers and PS2 consoles, on multiple simultaneous PVC connections to my block of static Force9 IP addresses.
Never used XBOX Live, so I can't help with that !.
matt_2k34
Grafter

PS3 online works fine.
Port forwarding works fine.
Was using a Thomson router provided by Plusnet.  Now using a Billion BiPac 7800N.
Can you edit your post. its quite disgustingly large, (im colourblind, and im finding it hideous to read.)
My post here may help you
And yes, it is not PNs job to tell you how to port forward. They only provide the router - not the tech support for it. - The files there are manuals for the router in question.
Also, ensure the broadband firewall is switched off in your plusnet members centre.
Thanks
*edit* - afterthought portforward.com should help you with what you are after. However, putting your xbox in a DMZ will remove all need for portwarding.
Adept
Dabbler

Ok from this we can surmise that from what i have been told from tech support, the only router currently supplied by plusnet is the Thompson DG585v7. Thus plusnet internet does not by default support either xbox live open NAT or port forwarding because the Thompson router simply will not port forward. Please anyone who has this router and has manged to get it to do either of the afore mentioned tasks your posts would be welcome to teach others how to do this. Thanks
[edit]
I have been to port forward the instructions are not clear. They lack to mention what if anything you should put in the port trigger and trigger protocol settings. I have read numerous posts from other users of this router and there are no concise instructions as of yet on how to do this. The manual also does not provide instructions. I will be extremely happy  for someone to point out that i am incorrect and show me that there are indeed instructions so i can fix uTorrent and dc++ and the other applications i need port forwarding for.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Thus plusnet internet does not by default support either xbox live open NAT or port forwarding because the Thompson router simply will not port forward.

Yes, it does.
Please read the links in my last post.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Re: Would you replace a D-Link with a Thompson?!!!

you can turn off dhcp,
you can port forward.
you can use a DMZ
you can use VPN software
The thomson router is more than adequate as a router - the interface is a little slow when under heavy load - it does handle many connections simultaneously pretty well. - as a Free router, its not bad.
@ Adept. theres no need for the 'forum rape' - for a start, posting at 11pm - your not likely to get a response from plusnet (9-5 hours for most staff) - and most of the people on the forum are customers - like yourself - they will help - just be patient.
is by far the hardest to configure router i have ever used

I agree, the interface isnt the best - my favourite so far has been the Dlink interface - but still ... cant have everything for free eh ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Adept
I suggest you read the forum rules:
The forum moderators reserve the right to ask any member to change their Avatar and/or Signature, should they feel that it is inappropriate, or does not comply with the following guidelines;
Avatar size should be limited to 80 x 80 pixels and a maximum file size of 40kB
Use of the Plusnet (Force9, Free-On-Line, Metronet) Logo as an Avatar is reserved for staff.
Signatures should use no more space than 4 lines of standard sized text would, this includes any blank lines and images you choose to use. Image based signatures should be limited to 80 x 560 pixels and a maximum file size of 40kB.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Adept
Dabbler

Ok great so it seems you can assign your xbox into the DMZ and then it will open NAT. Problem 1 solved.
http://192.168.1.254/cgi/...&tid=ASSIGN_PUBL_ADDR
Ok i have gone to the firewall settings and it says the setting is protected and unchangeable  even though i am logged in as the admin. I have turned off the upnp and port forwarded to port 81 and also assigned the MAC address of my wifi card to the Application that is using port 81. Still on canyouseeme.org it is flagging a time out. I know the daemon is running and listening for the connection. What am i doing wrong? This is by far the most difficult to configure router i have ever used. As far as using telnet and learning a whole new command set that is unacceptable.
matt_2k34
Grafter

OK, just to be sure-  can you just double check you made the rule in this way...
Here, best link i can find quickly
i'd delete the rule you already made. - Also - some insight into the application your using would be appreciated - it all helps find out what the problem is. Smiley
Adept
Dabbler

Cybergate, I will go through your link now thanks for the help
Adept
Dabbler

Ok i've tried that tutorial and i have assigned as it said to. The instructions are similar to that of portforward.com but portforward.com does not mention the ability to manually assign the static ip of the computer if you are unsure of the MAC address of the wifi card for instance if more than one person is connection to the network. Either way, still on canyouseeme.org it is giving an error. I'm not sure what to think at this point aside from that the software for the thompson router is poorly made and faulty. I will probably switch to my old D-link router which is easy to configure and actually works.
I guess the question now remains, has any plusnet member had any success forwarding ports with the Thompson DG585v7 router and if so, then how did you achieve it. Maybe then we can clarify this question at last.
matt_2k34
Grafter

Those instructions are exactly how i acheived it.
Using several ports (including web, mysql, RDP)
Again: What application are you trying to run on Port 81 - its a standard port used for SHTTP could be having a wobbler if your trying to use something like utorrent through it - (as it will probably have quite a low connection limit on that port)