Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is getting ridiculous now.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: This is getting ridiculous now.

Games seem sluggish and when panning around the scenery it is like looking through a strobe. Lagg when I shoot, keep getting stuck on objects

What happens when you load the same map offline? Does it still stutter?
Next step is to put interleaving *on* to correct the errors on your line following the other DLM changes we made last week.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

That change should complete tomorrow. Next steps, we'll take from there.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JamesM
Grafter

What happens when you load the same map offline? Does it still stutter?

Games are fine offline, see this is what I am talking about, you have no idea how to fix my problem and are still trying to blame my end. I have 2 choices, move house or move to another service provider, because IMO you have no idea.
What I don't understand is I have been gaming with PN for years and gaming has been relatively fine but it all changed around December 2012. So why all of a sudden have I got errors on my line. I have never had interleaving turned on and numerous tests over the years showed I didn't need it on, so why all of a sudden do I need it turned on now.
BT engineer came out and said my line was perfect so I would like to know what has happened to my line now that I am losing over 30% of my speed, I can stay connected for weeks on end with a SNRM of 6 and 6 but now I have to have down stream of 9 which has cut my speed by nearly a third, and to top it all off I now have to have interleaving turned on.
I switched to unlimited around December so am I under contract for 12 months because I know you are trying but I honestly think PN have no idea how to cope with the expansion of customers.
Interleaving was turned on a few weeks back and it made no difference, so why is it going to make a difference now ?  
A top end gaming rig with a shit connection.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

JamesM: I'm a bit cheesed off with this too tbh because we keep going in circles.  Will pick up tomorrow for you. 
I think its very likely that the errors we saw on your line last week are causing it.  It doesn't matter that your line was "perfect" a year or ago, errors on your line mean something is going on.
However, we should be doing a better job at making you feel like we are progressing this, rather than asking you the same questions. 
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Daveodeth
Grafter

Natural Selection 2 is being seen correctly? I'm getting fine pings in the steam server browser but the moment I connect to a server it's all over the shop.
JamesM
Grafter

I would like to start looking for another ISP, so would it be possible to tell me if I am under any contract with PN or can I leave straight away.
15 years is a long time but I think it is time to get out as nothing is being resolved and it seems to be getting worse.
I've raised an SNR reset and a modify order with the following paramaters:

Upstream and downstream uncapped
downstream SNR - 9db
upstream SNR - 6db

Downstream  Upstream  
  Data rate(Kbps)                     10361             888
  Noise Margin                             9                  12
  Output power(dBm)                   0                  20
  Attenuation(dB)                        28                 16

So do I also have errors on my upstream, or has my upstream noise margin been doubled by mistake ? I was also reading through an old post which said that even when my interleaving was set to auto, it was still switched off, so something must have happened somewhere for errors to suddenly appear on my line, unless the auto setting does not work. I appreciate you keep saying "our suppliers" so maybe I have to switch to your suppliers to get this fixed.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi JamesM,
Would you be willing to let me take a look at your line tomorrow and for me to give you a call?
I'm more than happy to work with you to get this issue resolved.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

We've made an additional tweak to your line, this will prioritise the traffic on your you line. This will complete on Monday, we need to see if this makes a difference.
If it doesn't, then we'd like to arrange a boost engineer to visit who will be able to spend time investigating your line and see how thing's are physically.
I know this is frustrating, it's something we really want to get to the bottom of and resolve for you. The actions above will help towards this.
JamesM
Grafter

I have just found out because I switched to unlimited, I am under contract until December. So because I no longer play any BF series games (apart from the occasional BFBC2 with my nephew) and only play ARMA 3 is it possible to set my noise margins back to 6 up and 6 down and also turn interleaving back off as with it on I am still struggling in BFBC2,  at least then I can get my 13500 sync back and my ping of 3.
I will be in all afternoon if you want to ring me Chris,
Fibre is hopefully coming to my area next year so until then I would prefer a lower ping and faster line with errors rather than a slower line and higher ping with errors.
I do appreciate all the time and effort you are putting into this, but sometimes frustration takes over and the fact I have a tooth abscess is not really helping my calm state of mind.
Thanks.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I can see thor modify order I placed has completed, let me know how if there's any difference and we'll go from there.
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Chris,
Interleaving has been turned off and upstream noise has been reduced back to 6 but unfortunately the downstream is still at 9, so my sync is still around 9.9 instead of the 13.5 I had a few weeks ago.
Type  Interleave Path
Status  SHOWTIME
                                                      Downstream  Upstream  
  Data rate(Kbps)                               9976              1127
  Noise Margin                                         9                    5
  Output power(dBm)                             12                  20
  Attenuation(dB)                                   28                  16

Also the Belkin router I have doesn't give me any error stats at all so I can't let you know if it is still erroring every 4 seconds.

Still 3 Mbps slower than the 11.5 I used to get a few weeks back.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Sorry, JamesM. I'm just fixing that for you now.
Edit::
Should be fixed now.
JamesM
Grafter

I put BF3 back on to see if it was better and to be honest the first map everything seemed so tight, I was hitting everything I aimed at and the movement was smooth and responsive so I thought that it had finally been fixed, but the second map things started to go to pot and on the third map I couldn't hit anything. I played for about 6 maps to see, but it just kept getting worse.
Here are my stats
Type  Interleave Path
Status  SHOWTIME
                                              Downstream  Upstream 
  Data rate(Kbps)                          13624          1103
  Noise Margin                                      2                6
  Output power(dBm)                          11              20
  Attenuation(dB)                                28            16

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We're going to arrange for a boost engineer to attend, are you available this week at all.
In the meantime, would you be able to create a ping graph and share it on here so we can look at your connection?
JamesM
Grafter

Yes mate, I will be home all week apart from Thursday PM,