Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

This is getting ridiculous now.

Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: This is getting ridiculous now.

JamesM:  Still having problems?  I'm determined to work out what's going on here and I've just noticed you live pretty close to the offices...
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi James,
I've just been speaking with Dave about your line and the problems you've been seeing.
He's performed some line tests and there's some things we've noticed that are likely to be causing issues.
First of all the tests have reported that their is strong REIN between 9.30pm and 10.30pm most nights, does anything happen in your home or locality during this time? Heating coming on, microwave, security lights etc?
Secondly your downstream is erroring every 15 seconds, this is going to cause DLM to react and is possibly the reason for the banding and upstream capping/uncappings as the line info is changing.
What we'd like to do is:
-  Reset your SNR to a specific value and try and turn DLM off so it's not reacting to the changing line conditions as much. We'd set interleaving to off.
After this it'd be a case of monitoring it for a few days and letting us know if things have improved.

I'll get someone to place the orders to do the bits and pieces we've suggested and hopefully you'll see an improvement soon.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi James,
Just here to confirm that I've placed the SNR reset and order as Chris suggested, I've added that to a ticket on your account to confirm the fine details.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
JamesM
Grafter

Hi Chris,
I have nothing on a timer that will come on between 9:30pm and 10:30 pm, usually there is nothing on at night when I am gaming apart from my computer and a stand light and my fridge and freezer. At the moment my router is in the test socket in the hallway and the fridge and freezer are about 4 metres away. I have a 10 meter CAT cable going around my hall, under my lounge room door, then it goes under an electrical socket, then runs alongside a 4 point extension socket to my computer.
I just tried router stats but that doesn't seem to work with my router, I got it working but it is showing zero on the graphs, apart from the down noise which seems to be working but it went from 5, shot up to 100, then back to 5, but I guess this is around the time you were testing my line.
Checking my stats as I often do, I don't think I have had a drop in connection for at least a week and my up and down noise stays at about 5 or 6 constantly.
At the momment as you probably know, my down noise has gone up to 9 and my sync has dropped to 10500, when the BT engineer came he said he was getting 13500 to my premises and when he left I was allways syncing around 13500, but it dropped slightly over the last month to 12000.
I would like to buy a new router so I could see the errors as the Belkin doesn't show them, but with fibre hopefully coming next year I don't want to waste £100 on a router only to use it for 6 months or more.
Thanks for looking at this again, see what happens.
Thanks Adam, just seen your post as I was going to post this.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

If you've got an AM/MW radio and some time you can see if you can find the source of the REIN!
Tune the radio to 612Khz and as you go near to electrical devices you'll hear a distinct noise, the further away the less the noise should be. White noise or general static sounds can normally be ignored, along with any radio stations on that frequency.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
JamesM
Grafter

I put BFBC2 back on tonight to see how it was, and it was absolutely shocking, I ended up having to go sniper and even then I was getting shot before I even appeared from behind the rock, as though I am visible to the enemy, but to me I am still behind the rock. From memory I usually have a ping of 12 on the banana republic servers and tonight it was 73. I tried a different server and map and jumped in a tank, shells seemed to be firing about half a second after I fired. This is the worst nights gaming I have had in a long time, The last few months or so of playing BFBC2 before I switched to BF3 I was usually at least 3 to 4 times my K/D ratio, and tonight I couldn't break even.
I understand my connection has been reset and is being monitored, so I will give it a couple of days and see how it goes. I will see if anyone I know has an analogue radio.
I have been looking at my advanced adapter settings in my network connection and there are settings for jumbo packets, gigabit master slave mode, interrupt moderation, large send offload ipv4 and ipv6, and then under performance options there is flow control, receive buffers, transmit buffers, inter frame spacing. I have left it on default but should any of these be messed with ?
Kelly
Hero

What I don't understand if why your performance is so much more variable and worse than the other gamers we have working here at Plusnet with their lines.    We'll keep looking.
Kelly Dorset
JamesM
Grafter

You and me both Kelly,
I used the MSI afterburner frames per second overlay whilst playing BFBC2 last night and I was very rarely dropping below 200 FPS, (200 FPS is the maximum BFBC2 will go to) with everything on low.
As I said in another thread, I only play ARMA 3 now and that is a slow game, so my connection wasn't worrying me, but with me giving my Nephew my old ROG board he can't play the latest games as it only has an ATI HD4870, so he got BFBC2 yesterday, hence why I put BFBC2 back on so we can have a frag.
There are too many variables these days, is it my router not liking the new intel LAN chipset, is it the UEFI BIOS not liking my 660ti, is it because I am on the same telegraph pole as a pub which has 3 or 4 lines going to the pub, plus lines going to the other houses around me,
I know something isnt right, and I have done everything I can, and PN have done everything they can, so not because I want to, but i guess the only option is to go to BT for 18 months and see what their homehub brings to the party, at least I will be able to rule out my Belkin if the HH does the same.
EDIT
I flashed my BIOS last night as ASUS brought out a new one (1802) for the MVF, so I have got my BIOS running back at default and will leave it at default for a day or so and will try tonight to see if it makes any difference.
Edit 2
I have just sent an PM to one of the EVGA (the makers of my GFX) staff as apparently they are doing a modified BIOS for their cards on an order only basis to make them more compatible with the UEFI motherboard BIOS. So then you can have the UEFI only instead of UEFI and legacy. Boot times are supposed to be 4 seconds on an SSD and hopefully it will rule out another item.
JamesM
Grafter

The UEFI BIOS is for windows 8 only  >:(,  but I have blagged a BTHH2 which is now up and running. So this will hopefully see if my Belkin router is not as goos as I thought it was.
JamesM
Grafter

So I have had a few games on BFBC2 with the BT homehub 2 and it is just as bad, only now I can't play a full round as I keep losing connection to the servers. When I look at the server list it says a ping of 15, yet when I am in game the ping shows as 80+. Everything just feels so slugish even though I am playing at 200+ frames per second,
Would it be possible to see if I am under contract and if so how long I have left. I am not saying this is down to Plusnet as it could be my new build but the only way I can cross PN from the list is if I go to another ISP.
Kelly
Hero

Well, as far as I can see you've got line issues (the mean errors per second on your faults reports indicate as much), so unless you managed to cut that out with the move, I don't think you'll eliminate it.
I'm not happy we've done enough on your fault yet!
Kelly Dorset
JamesM
Grafter

Kelly, does any of your tech people know anything about UEFI BIOS, I have to enable UEFI + Legacy boot in my BIOS otherwise my GFX card will not work, EVGA have done a BIOS fix but this is only for windows 8 which doesn't make sense as quite a few people do not like windows 8 and it seems the 600 series cards do not like the UEFI BIOS. I know this might not be the problem and it could be just down to the errors on my line but it seems strange that the problem was only intermitent before I was switched to unlimited and I built my new rig. Whereas now it is 100 percent of the time.
Streaming is fast, downloading is fast, my computer is as fast as anything, but gaming is the only problem.
With the BTHH2 I have used a different ADSL cable and a new filter, last week I switched my CAT cable and plugged straight into the test socket so I can't really see anything my end it can be.
I did have the BT engineer out maybe 9 months ago and he replaced the drop cable running down the side of my house and switched my connection at the exchange which gave me another 2 Mb and last week I saw a BT van and the engineer was up the telegraph pole but I don't know what he did.
Kelly
Hero

No idea on the UEFI problems, but you live so close I'm tempted to send Chris over with his gaming rig to see if it is your machine! Wink
Kelly Dorset
JamesM
Grafter

Just give me an hours notice so I can tidy up  Cool
Edit,
You have given me an idea Kelly, my old rig is up and running 3 doors away at my Sisters house with BFBC2 installed, so I could just bring that on to my house and test that. Nice one mate. Cool
JamesM
Grafter

Any news yet on my connection problems ? I tried my old rig and it is exactly the same, so finally I know it has nothing to do with my new build and can stop "wasting my time and hard earned money".
Here is a summary of what I have done.
Tried my old GFX card in my new rig, HD4870, MSI 580 lightning, EVGA 660ti, tried them in different PCIe slots,tried my old monitor on my new rig, tried both onboard and creative sound card, tried various motherboard BIOS, tried with 2 sticks of memory, one stick and one stick, stock BIOS, overclocked BIOS, numerous GFX drivers, old and new chipset drivers, ASUS drivers, windows drivers, razer and Logitech mice, belkin router, Thomson router, BTHH2 router, different filters, different ADSL cables, CAT 5 and CAT 6 cables, win 7 64, win 8 64, flashed GFX bios, stock GFX, overclocked GFX, tried a HDD, and a SSD, different monitor cables, different CPU coolers, and finally rebuilt my old Rig and tried that, and nothing makes a difference. Games seem sluggish and when panning around the scenery it is like looking through a strobe. Lagg when I shoot, keep getting stuck on objects, Over 7 months now this has been a problem for me and to be honest I don't know what else to do my end apart from move house, and that is definitely not on the cards.
If I have missed anything at my end please let me know,
I know my line noise margin has been reset to 9 db down stream but going from 11300 download speed and a ping of 3 to this

Any ideas?