cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking of buying Xbox and Kinect - which one?

lawsofphysics
Dabbler

Thinking of buying Xbox and Kinect - which one?

I'm quite intrigued by the recent Xbox dashboard update and I'm tempted to invest in one soon, along with the Kinect to act as a home entertainment hub in the main.
I'm using a Wii for that purpose at the moment, but it's hardly HD and it's only got iPlayer on it. Ironically the iPlayer and itvplayer aren't on xbox yet, although I gather they're on the way. I'm sure I'll make use of it for a bit of Skyrim and a few kinect games to keep the family entertained too. Wink
Now my main question is that there are 2 main models of xbox by the looks: The 4GB and 250GB. Given the above usage, do I really need to invest in the 250GB hard drive version or not?
I'm on Fibre value, so I'll have to watch out for usage if we get heavily into the on demand stuff, but that's another issue...!
Thanks
6 REPLIES 6
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Thinking of buying Xbox and Kinect - which one?

Hi, If you want to install games to your Hardrive and you think you will download a lot of DLC etc I suggest you go for the 250GB one, Or wait to see what the Wii U has to offer later this year.
Netflix Is available on the Wii now.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Just in case you didn't realise, you can't transfer files onto the Xbox, so it's no good as a replacement for a current media system based off mp3s/flac files etc.  I bought one especially to use as a media centre as well as for some games and didn't realize.
You can stream from another machine on your network, but the idea was for it to store the media as well 😕
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

you can't transfer files onto the Xbox

There's at least a couple of USB ports so you can connect an external storage device, I often listen to music on mine via a USB flash drive.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Not quite the same as decommissioning my old NAS which was the plan Cheesy
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
lawsofphysics
Dabbler

Thanks. I'm getting the impression that I was along the right lines as I wasn't planning on exporting all my media files onto it, but streaming over wireless anyway. Linking up a flash drive sounds an ideal option if I have a change of heart.
I presume any other game saves (not that there'll be many) will be save to the cloud?
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Game saves will save on your HDD or you can save them on the cloud through the xbox, Just remember If you plan on playing skyrim there will be no point playing it from the HDD if you go for the 4GB console, Skyrim takes up about 3.5GB.
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.