cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Witcher

petejackson
Grafter

The Witcher

Anyone playing this? Has anyone managed to kill the Beast?  I'm beginning to think that I'll have to backtrack in my save games and try to find something I might be missing?  The way that the cut-scene moves you straight into the action means I can't seem to jack up on potions quick enough before the dogs chew me to pieces.  Any ideas?
9 REPLIES 9
Yadda
Grafter

Re: The Witcher

I haven't played this. The trailer on the official site looks very impressive though but I doubt my system would do it any justice.
It seems you're not alone in your struggle against the beast - a quick Google for "witcher beast battle" shows quite a few cries for help. There seem to be a variety approaches for beating it, including adopting a particular stance for defeating the dogs then switching stances and downing a potion for the beast itself. Have a look at the ideas and see which (witch?) one works best.  Smiley
petejackson
Grafter

Quote from: Yadda
a quick Google for "witcher beast battle" shows quite a few cries for help.

Oh yeah I know.  I was straight onto Google.  It hasn't helped me any though.  Just wondered whether anyone here was playing this rather excellent game and had got past this blooming hound.
Carpa_Bob
Dabbler

Quote from: petejackson
Quote from: Yadda
a quick Google for "witcher beast battle" shows quite a few cries for help.

Oh yeah I know.  I was straight onto Google.  It hasn't helped me any though.  Just wondered whether anyone here was playing this rather excellent game and had got past this blooming hound.

I decided to run through on Hard, and found everything to be pretty reasonable up until this fight.  I'm following a lot of the advice from people on The Witcher's official board, so putting Spectre Oil on the sword, using a sharpening stone +20% and then taking a Swallow potion and a Blizzard potion before exiting the cave and entering the dialog section (as you won't really have time during the fight).  Yet I'm still getting my ass handed to me.
Part of me wants to just restart on Easy, but another part of me reads comments that claim the Beast is the hardest fight in the game and thinks "if I can just persevere, I can get past this and continue with what should be a challenging but rewarding game".
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Same issue its a Pure luck boss, tried it on level 8 but going by the forums have to be level 9 or 10 and have sword skills maxed out plus the stun sign if you go for the coupe de grace kill.
Nice game until this point shame they have to add pure luck bosses but there is another hard boss in Act 1, the Ghoul boss yet to find a solution to that one as well.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Tyreal74
Grafter

Handy tip - use Aard on it, should allow you to 1 hit kill it - i did ^^
on Act 3 now, just seducing the town clerk
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Tyreal74
Handy tip - use Aard on it, should allow you to 1 hit kill it - i did ^^
on Act 3 now, just seducing the town clerk

If the stun lands, doesn't always and then you can't do the killing strike if your under attack from barghests from behind.
Did it finally myself but had to go back as I ignored alchemy completely and hadn't made any swallow potions and also hadn't bought the Sword oil Abiligail.
So at level 9 with the first level of Steel group attack maxed out, 3 swallow potions and the Oil from abilgail it was possible which it wasn't at level 8 with none of that.
So still in the cave:
Use the fire to meditate to remove all toxins you might have.
Use all potions in the cave before you leave.
In the fight change straight to group stance and get any agro off of Abigail as she heals you during the fight, then just circle killing barghests as you go.
If your lucky and don't have any barghest behind you try to stun but not knock down the hound and go for the killing strike, in knock down there isn't time for the killing strike.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Merrick
Grafter

Took me two or attempts to get it but heres what i did.
Use the blizard potion right off, slows everying down for you and makes you harder to hit.
Go to group atack and use ard, make sure you have the blade covering on, the one makes your sword silverish.
Go stright for the beast and ard it, and attack. even if you dont stun it its moved out the way a bit and your group attacks kill the smaller dogs. just keep group attacking until all the smaller dogs are dead then move to fast and attack it. if you get near death just run in circuls until the witch wakes up again and helps you out and then you can try again.
be warned, right after the beast fight the villagers will come and attack you if you chose to help the witch so try and finish the beast fight with group mode on to give you self a good head start against them.
the beast drops an item that, when made into a potion, gives you a great silver attribute boost when you drink it then sleep on it early on.
this an awsome game and if you do the right skills, ard is your best friend ever, and get some good dex/strength balance the enemies are faily stright forward.
dont atack wayvens in groups, always get them to break off and attack straglers, loaners, 1 on 1 its easy, 2 on 1 and its very hard even with the fire sign, ard is no use on them.
use the journal and its info on monstors and buy a book about them if you dont have an entry, the journal does not lie and it gives good info on how to defeat them and what tactics to use. also, if you dont have a journal entry for them you cant skin/salvage any etc goodies from their bodies and many of these goodies are used to fullfil npc contracts.
petejackson
Grafter

Heh.. I managed to get past this point a few days ago and just hadn't caught up in the forum.. I backtracked in my save games to before I entered the cave.  Experimented with some 'unknown' potions.  Discovered I had Blizzard.  Reloaded the save game and tried it after taking that potion.  Group attack on the bargest dogs and as you say attacking, running off to get a breather seemed to work.  I actually didn't notice that the witch was helping me at all I have to say.  A great game but not as good as Oblivion for its quest narrative structure - I keep asking people about things that I don't 'know' about yet.
Merrick
Grafter

ah now i keep hearing about oblivian but never played it or even know much it.
im an eve player, love it, never seem to play anything else but the witcher has had me off eve for a week solid Smiley
one thing that does bug me is that they went all the bother of making it look fanstic graphicaly but then only made 4 or 5 civilian modles for humans and 2 or 3 for dwarfs. this on the out side would not seem to matter much but in big group fights or even the fist fights in pubs seeing the same 4 humans all the same model kinda looks dum.
the dwarfs beards are ace though, you can see they are based or realy hair pics, look great.