cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Death Of Games Consoles-Coming Soon!!

Steve
Seasoned Pro

The Death Of Games Consoles-Coming Soon!!

A brand new online service promises to serve games to your living rooms, LIVE, and without the need for an expensive console or a high-powered personal computer. It’s the future of gaming and – potentially – the death of traditional gaming devices as we know and love them.
OnLive – say it softly and not within earshot of Sony, Nintendo and co – circumvents the need to trudge to the shops, hand over your hard-earned cash and trudge all the way home again with the latest hot game. Instead, this ‘cloud’ service will deliver top games direct to your PC or TV screen instantly, using a small receiver unit that hooks up to your existing broadband connection.
So fellow gamers what do you think?
Full details...http://uk.videogames.games.yahoo.com/blog/article/9173/
If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
13 REPLIES 13
psybox
Dabbler

Re: The Death Of Games Consoles-Coming Soon!!

a nice idea but will not kill off consoles. There are too many factors in play, without looking at consoles other capabilities;  streaming media from pc's, ability to use iplayer on your main pc, use it as blueray dvd player / music / video / picture / media centre .....
Azagoth
Grafter

Never going to happen, well not in the way they envisage anyway.  I'd like to see them get something like COD: MW2, for example, streaming over that thing at maximum settings, with a decent framerate and no lag.
scootie
Grafter

idea good, broadband networks just not ready at this moment in time. 5-10 years down the line, more like 10 years if all people in most countrys are able to use this service as the inventers imagine
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Thought I'd seen it before http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=75241.0
So a year later it doesn't seem to have done much.
Also the PSP-GO or whatever it's called is a disc-less machine where you buy and download your games online..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Steve
Seasoned Pro

I think it its pretty exciting if this ever comes to anything,never noticed it had been discussed before, Im still waiting on news on this thread i posted a while back  http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,80450.0.html
Do agree though for this to work at all we need super broadband in this country and that wont come with the way most of this countrys lines are, Nevertheless its certainly one to watch.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Found my blog about this: http://community.plus.net/blog/2009/03/27/onlive-why-its-head-is-in-the-clouds/
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

That's a good blog chris thank's for that, Some interesting point's aswell.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Cloud-computing service OnLive has signed a deal with BT to include it with broadband packages in the UK.
BT has also bought a small investment in the company, so even if some experts don't think OnLive will work on a large scale they clearly do.
The service, which allows you to play games online without a console or PC, launches in the U.S. this summer. There's no UK date as yet though.
scootie
Grafter

i bet bt use that to sell the infitiy product by adding it for a small fortune, they will try and claim in the way they do that the infitiy product is the best/ only product able to use on live
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Thats an interesting view asbo.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

In the latter part of my working life I had the misfortune to be on the receiving end of applications run on a central server - it was mind bogglingly slow at times.
I really don't understand how this could work when I am at the end of a 2500kbps connection.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

I thought the title read Games Consoles will be the death of me and was about to agree Embarrassed
Maybe when everyone's fibred up and data is much cheaper but that's quite a way off yet.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Yeah it's maybe why UK hasnt been given a date yet aswell.