cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible gaming pings and usage

Vetenari

Terrible gaming pings and usage

I've been logging on to play Team Fortress 2 and lured myself back to WoW (after a year-and-a-half) the last couple of days. I'm getting diabolical pings. In-game in TF2 I'd normally get 25-40 pings on the servers I usually play. I'm seeing this multiplied x10 atm  :o. I'm also getting 700-1000 pings on WoW.
Is there any reason for this suddenly. I have hit my usage limit (but been given and billed for the additional 5 gigs) but surely it should affect it this much.
Talking about usage - I can't see how it's gone over so much the last few days. I did a reinstall a week ago and patching sucked a big chunk of allowance but today for example, over a gig seems to have come from nowhere. I've been at work all day, the missus assures me she's done a bit of web-browsing and that's it.
Is there any way of breaking down where this has come from? I'm sure the night the clocks went back it counted some post midnight d/ling while still technically BST as part of my 20 gig allowance.
8 REPLIES 8
Dwivvc
Grafter

Re: Terrible gaming pings and usage

Can't really tell about the ping's because you've given no stats.
But about the bandwidth usage did you patch fully to 4.0.1?
I mean to say are you currently playing on live servers?
neil3045
Grafter

Just look at the latest forums mate plusnet seems to be falling apart. speed isues left right and centre!
Vetenari

Went on TF2 again tonight - my ping (on a UK based server - Fragmasters on this occasion) was over 500ms.
Dwivvc - yes I fully patched to 4.0.1. but the bulk of this was done between midnight - 8am. There's not background update going on to slow it down at all.
What the hell's going on? As it stand my PNPro connection is unplayable...
matt_2k34
Grafter

Just look at the latest forums mate plusnet seems to be falling apart. speed isues left right and centre!

Customer with two lines here
Both are perfectly fine.
Quick question: Vetenari, what exchange are you on ? it could be congestion which is out of plusnets hands (its BTs problem Sad )
Whats the "VP Capacity" Say Here
its quite possible if you've added the 5gb for £5, it might not have yet gone active on the system if you've just done it. (im not sure but a disconnect/reconnect may be required)
Regards
matt_2k34
Grafter

neil3045
If you are having issues also, crack open a thread (doesnt hurt - promise) and im sure someone will do their best to help Smiley
Dwivvc
Grafter

Ok well background downloads are in progress because everyone is currently downloading Patch 4.0.3 the down loader has been changed and you will be downloading and installing it right now but that's not the issue lets sort your lag out Cheesy
While running wow (on the server you usually play on)  minimize it and open run and type cmd and press enter
then type in netstat -n -p tcp -b | more
you're looking for an ip address with the reference to wow.exe
look under foreign address for that ip ignore the first set.
Replace the x's with the ip address you found on the netstat ( this is the ip of your realm)
tracert xx.xxx.xxx.xx > C:\tracert.txt 
Now go to drive c:/ and find tracert.txt 
open it and copy the information down in this thread please.
Also could you please post a speed test.

matt_2k34
Grafter

Excellent Dwivvic Nice to see some newer members helpfully contributing.
Its worth noting that doing Dwivvic's tracert method, you need to wait for the cmd line to go to the next line, before you open the text file (as it will be incomplete)

The tracert will show where there is a greater latency being added on the route of your traffic..

Regards
brokenthumb
Grafter

Just a quick thought re the bandwith question, do you use Skype? It's well known for sneaking off with bandwidth when left unattended