cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telephone Line effecting online gaming

dizzler
Dabbler

Telephone Line effecting online gaming

Strange thing around 2 weeks ago my online gaming ( black ops 2 )  improved way beyond anything i have experience before. My hit detection was excellent and my kd went from 1.43 to 2.50
around the same time we noticed our telephone line was down we could not dial out and could not receive calls.  No real issue to be honest because we all have mobiles and rarely use
the landline. I did actually forget about the fault for around 1 week and my gaming continued to be awesome without exception .... every game every lobby fantastic .
then last weekend i got round to reporting the landline issue to plusnet who confirm there was a fault on our line at the exchange. it was reported and i was told the line would be fixed by this
wednesday ,  in the meantime my gaming continued to be awesome and I was strutting around the black ops 2 like some deranged super soldier.  Yesterday my phone rang so the issue was obviously resolved
last night and tonight I have been on Black ops 2 and it is virtually unplayable .... the super solider is dead !!!  now this is not all in my mind believe me its chalk and cheese .
my question is why would that be the case . I am on fibre 80/20 and internet connection is always very good... any plus net people reading this please help me I want super soldier back!!  Angry Angry 
30 REPLIES 30
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Telephone Line effecting online gaming

Hi there,
It may have been a coincidence, but it may not. Could you unplug anything from the phone line(including the mains) apart from your modem and see if this makes a difference?
Is this over a wired or wireless connection?
I've checked over your phone line connection and everything as you said has been fixed.
flaminmoses
Grafter

Interesting
I was away for just under a week.
Fired up blackop2 two days ago and I was also "super soldier"
Phones normal though.
Fired up FIFA and the same there.....a defo improvement.
Will report back over the next few days.....suspect there is something which could explain it
flaminmoses
Grafter

update
played a few games on blackop2 and while there is still that improvement from pre holiday it isnt quite as good as just after i arrived back.
could be the psn or something to do with plusnet imo
dizzler
Dabbler

Hi
I am running wired . I have disconnect the
Phone and then turned off at the mains
And a big improvement again for half hour
Plugged it all back in again and the game
Is rubbish .. I am now convinced its the line / phone
But have no idea why ?Huh
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

depends on the phone itself battery operated phones (I have one that doesn't use a mains adaptor) tend not to give off the same electromagnetic field.
the prior landline phone I had was a mains adaptor version and it caused merry hell with my internet gaming (didn't really notice a problem with email or browsing) 
I am 99% certain that its to do with the way the components in the phones power circuit degrade over time causing it to emit harmonic waves through the phone cord that whilst extremely weak are just powerful enough to affect the modem cable where they both meet at the BT socket, this interference is most likely removed by the adsl filter so not seen at the exchange but affects the modem/router only (actually in my case that's exactly what happened)
the best way to stop this is to use an extension to remote the phone /skybox etc so there is no proximity to the modem cable (I personally would get a spare adsl filter or 2 one of those cheap n nasty plug in extension kits, plug one end into the master socket adsl filter and put an adsl filter on the far end where the phone and any other equipment is connected)
the other options are to invest in new phones every time it happens (not viable for most people given a power surge can trigger it) get a battery operated phone (if you require things like TAM/CLID etc etc) or get a non powered phone (although cheap ones can cause problems all of there own)
failing that ignore the problem and carry on as normal
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Did the super soldier period correlate with roughly this time?
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115770.msg1017307.html#msg1017307
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
flaminmoses
Grafter

yes
i wondered why things changed back.
incidentally did you change things yesterday evening around 5pm?
i was on fifa and i got disconnected....when i went back in the game was a little bit better.
same with when i went back onto black ops that evening...although around midnight things went a little bit mental again.
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

Hi,
We've made 3 sets of changes over the last few weeks to test out some different configs
1. 12th-15th August on PCL-AG01 and PCL-AG02 only (we can check which gateway you were on if you think it was good/bad during this time and see if you were on either of these
After this we went back to the original config
2. 19th-22nd August across the whole network
3. 22nd August we backed out most of the changes but didn't go back to the original instead reverted to the config that ran in config 1. above on PCL-AG01 as this looked to be better than the original, the intention being to fine tune and adjust next month
Nothing done yesterday at 5pm that would've affected gaming.
Do you know how things map against those dates, I'm guessing this would be around 21st August so in the middle of config 2
I was away for just under a week.
Fired up blackop2 two days ago and I was also "super soldier"

and this was during config 3
played a few games on blackop2 and while there is still that improvement from pre holiday it isnt quite as good as just after i arrived back.

Does that sound about right?
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
flaminmoses
Grafter

yes those dates all tie in with what happened.
gameing was good when i returned for the 21st and 22nd ish then reverted back to the old ways.
defo got disconnected yesterday mind and there was an improvement although not super soldier.
flaminmoses
Grafter

so whens this new setup going to be up and running full time?
flaminmoses
Grafter

well????Huh
flaminmoses
Grafter

a question
what is the normal contention ratio for my line?
flaminmoses
Grafter

well...is anyone gonna respond????
put the system you had in place from the 21st of august and leave it at that.
im playign fifa and players are much sharper and faster than mine.
same on cod...some games are unplayable
im on the fibre 80/20 250gb product and this should not be happening.
my contracts up soon and i certainly wont be staying unless you put things riight pronto.
on fifa 12 you didnt have this problem until fibre came along.
that should be anough info for you to work out what you changed....and correct from there.
RANT OVER
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It's the weekend....

We need to update some of the traffic management pages to support the remaining changes (i.e. moves to silver).  I don't understand why that is improving your gaming though.  So I don't know if they are related.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager