Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System memory usage/needed for modern games

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

System memory usage/needed for modern games

I plead ignorance as I don't understand it

This came about because of a discussion elsewhere related to Dishonored 2 where the recommended system is Win 10 with 16GB of RAM so I checked Deus Ex Mankind Divided which had the same recommended spec

Running it under Win 7 on a 1080 screen with a GTX1070 6GB graphics card and the total system memory usage never exceeded 5GB and the games actual usage was about 2.7GB with just under 8GB committed

So what is the effect of only having 8GB instead of 16GB of system RAM

As an aside I am not sure where the Win 10 bit comes from as it is unlikely that Dishonored 2 with use DX12 more likely as it uses a modified idTech6 engine would be Vulkan

3 REPLIES 3
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Re: System memory usage/needed for modern games

Maybe it all depends on what parts you have in your pc and how to get the best out of the game.

Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Just the way games are now expecting more ram to use, if you don't have it then it uses virtual memory so will run slower accessing it.  16 is the new norm going by the streamers I watch for game play of new games, which just drives it home that my now 8 year old pc needs retired

FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

@Oldjim wrote:

I plead ignorance as I don't understand it

This came about because of a discussion elsewhere related to Dishonored 2 where the recommended system is Win 10 with 16GB of RAM so I checked Deus Ex Mankind Divided which had the same recommended spec

Running it under Win 7 on a 1080 screen with a GTX1070 6GB graphics card and the total system memory usage never exceeded 5GB and the games actual usage was about 2.7GB with just under 8GB committed

So what is the effect of only having 8GB instead of 16GB of system RAM

As an aside I am not sure where the Win 10 bit comes from as it is unlikely that Dishonored 2 with use DX12 more likely as it uses a modified idTech6 engine would be Vulkan

on higher resolution displays like uhd or 4k the texture files will be 8GB + in size so in theory you would require an 8GB Vram card with 16 GB of system ram and a tonne of Virtual Memory (or page file) when playing DXMKD my system on 1920/1080 managed to use 4GB of Vram and 8GB of Ram and also 24GB of page file pretty much constantly, if you have a standard W10 install your system will run between 2 and 4GB  of ram (depending if you disabled some stuff or not) but you need 8GB for the game to run optimally so hence the requirement for it to have 16GB of RAM

when I first started playing DXMKD my pc had 8GB of RAM and I was using a gfx card with only 2GB of Vram, it had a lot of stuttering and low frame rates even on the lowest settings, when I upgraded the gfx card (which to be honest I did because the one I had was a few years old and suffered from rainbow screen tearing in most things after it warmed up) it still suffered from load stuttering but the settings were all at medium and normal frame rates were around 70 with drops ot single digits, upgradeing the ram and swapping the game to a SSD from a spinning disk fixed the stutter and lows are now listed as around 45 with upper rates around 85fps....

swapping to dx12 fixed a lot of those problems but DX12 has a memory leak in DXMKD which forces fuzzy textures every so often especially in areas where its raining.......

but in reality if you have zero intention of switching from a standard 1920/1080 60hz monitor theres no point in going to the maximum size available, for me my tv is uhd 3d unit so I wanted something that could drive that output when screen mirroring for the kids ....

just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you