cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Switching From Virgin To Plusnet! Opinions?

neil3045
Grafter

Switching From Virgin To Plusnet! Opinions?

After nearly two years of not being able to download anything at peak times and choppy youtube vids I was nearly ready to leave virgin media! But the final straw came after suffering from a constant hovering between one red bar and two yellows on modern warfare two (ps3). I was forced away from playing the original modern warfare in the past but didnt consider jumping ship! I signed up today and cant wait to go live! what Im really writing here for is a rough idea of what to expect? I live in Cornwall and my max speed I could get from my exchange with virgin was just under 7 meg which is very good, but traffic shaping had my p2p dls crawling along below 5kb/s peak times! After reading some posts on here I hope my switch is easier than others  Undecided
8 REPLIES 8
scootie
Grafter

Re: Switching From Virgin To Plusnet! Opinions?

where you on there cable or access package?
plusnet expected speeds http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml
neil3045
Grafter

I was on there 20mb adsl package, however my local exchange can only handle up to 8 meg and we're not gettin adsl2+ for over a year! The broadband speed checker always reported good speeds, about 6 meg off peak and 5 during peak, but the pings for online games was abismal at peak times and I never got a chance to download because it was so slow at peak times. After having a good read through of the virgin forum it was obvious to me that nothing has been done for years on the issue.
neil3045
Grafter

And im quite impressed with plusnet expected speeds if i can get even a 50 kb/s dl at 5pm ill be glad of the move! makes a huge change from 1 - 5 kb/s!
Mand
Grafter

Re:Switching From Virgin To Plusnet! Opinions?

Hi there and welcome Smiley
Your peak time speeds will depend on your line and product, though our line check estimate says 7Mb, which is pretty darn good. Smiley
neil3045
Grafter

Yes thats what I thought for a small village with an old exchange that is a longshot off adsl2+! When I had virgin installed I had to have BT out because of white noise on the line. They replaced my cables right from the telephone socket to the telephone poll! result! And im going for the premium package because of the 80 gig usage, if i dont use anywhere near that amount I might opt for the pro because Im not really much of a downloader.
jetski2

I'm switching from Virgin Media to PlusNet as well. I go live on 26/04/2013. It's over half the price so hopefully I will still get a good service. I'm not really a downloader either so paying over £32.00 a month for phone line & Fibre Broadband was a bit of a waste. All I want is a good reliable phone line & broadband. If I get between 7 & 8mb I will be happy. 🙂 I was with TalkTalk before I joined Virgin but the constant disconnections got very annoying!!  Cry
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Who resurrected an ancient thread - confused the heck out of me  Embarrassed
reece251
Grafter

More than ancient
dick:quote