cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Struggled with Multiplayer gaming, recommended new router?

FeScarecrow

Struggled with Multiplayer gaming, recommended new router?

Hi Guys,
Thanks for any advice sent my way, greatly appreciated! I've been with plusnet a good few years now but decided to upgrade to fibre optic about 4 months ago. That in itself was beyond any sort of headache I thought possible, long story short it took 5 visits and 3 months before I was switched over to fibre. I had hoped this would solve any issues with the lag I would continually get (and slow gaming speeds) when playing online whether it was the PC or the Xbox One. I had tried to utilize port forwarding techniques provided from lots of guides but alas my technical knowledge is not enough it seems to succeed. I also upgraded to plus net pro in the hopes that might help, but if anything I think it may have made it worse, I could be wrong though.
There are only two of us on the 72mb connection (which sits around 50-60 most days), and the other person mostly streams netflix. I've seen on the forums that replacing the default router can really make a difference and if this was the case, what would you recommend?
Many thanks!
4 REPLIES 4
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Struggled with Multiplayer gaming, recommended new router?

I went for the Billion 8800NL on my adsl line, others are using it on their Fibre.  it weighs in around £70 and well worth it, unless BT or PN are doing work my connection simply does not lose sync or drop its PPP session anymore.  As for the main reason you are asking, the one game I never could get to work 100% with the technicolor was Warframe.  it was constantly  stuck with strictnat, with the 8800NL I haven't even had to port foward, it just works.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Mathias
Grafter

See here for my fibre router recommendation.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134761.0.html
Definitely recommend replacing the PN router for gaming purposes. However you may still want to learn about setting up any router for optimal results. In that case see here for PURLEIGHS advise, which is very helpful and enabled me to get a stable and and low ping connection.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,134182.0.html
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

I went with the billion 7800dx when I had ADSL (because I knew I was getting fibre) because I don't mind a separate modem when I'm getting 4 gbps ports off the router and 130mbps wifi 3 floors up, it can handle having 4 xbox 360's an xbox1, 2 pcs (running games and downloads) 8 mobiles 5 tablets and 5 laptops all being used (because kids cant turn anything off ) whilst streaming to al the tablets and 2 setop boxes from various websites in hd....
if it wasn't an unlimited connection they wouldn't be allowed to lap it up so much but hey it doesn't affect shmbo's ability to email/Skype nor my ability to use the internet
I did have a lesser router before that couldn't handle all the devices being switched on at the same time (it would freeze and require a power cycle) although to be fair normally only when we have visitors is thee quite so much tech being used, still its nice to know the machine can do it all without a hissy fit Smiley

also as with the 8800, in terms of setup just ensure uPnP was switched  on everything and it does it all automatically, although I must confess I need ot login and delete all the virtual server entries every few days to stop errors
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
FeScarecrow

Wow, really appreciate the influx of advice guys thank you.
Ordered the billion 8800NL as a replacement, the 7800dx looks amazing but I'm not sure about spending over £100 for a router. By all the reviews and guides it seems like a great upgrade. Hopefully won't need to tinker too much with it.
@nanotm, I know your pain. I can't get my sister to turn anything off so she ends up watching netflix whilst skyping and being on her phone! Hopefully with just two of us though the billion 8800 will keep us going. I'll keep an eye out for the uPnP settings though!
@Mathias, Thanks for guides, used one as you can see and Favorited the other for when it turns up! Smiley
@Gus, thanks for the recommendation. Not having to touch port forwarding and the fact that your worst connection game was fixed gives me a big confidence boost.

Thanks again guys! Will post my update and results in a few days