cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming video content from Xbox Dashboard....

plusnetuce

Streaming video content from Xbox Dashboard....

Hi
I am trying to watch a short video (SentUaMessage) from the dashboard and it doesn't go more than 5 to 20 seconds without buffering for ages - how can I tell if this is traffic shaping or connection problems?  The speed tester ('MyBraodband Speed,not the BT one which keeps erroring) suggests a different rate every time run it and example d/l speeds are 270,350,540,554 kbps (once peaking at 1028).  Driving me mad - I often get disconnected from COD games too.  TalkTalk are new to our area as the first unbundled provider but have been reasonable happy with PN so would prefer to stay with them.    Youtube won't stream uninterupted either.  This is driving me mad - anyone else get problems streaming dashboard stuff? I am going to see if this is an 'evening' thing which may prove/disprove traffic shaping but any advice appreciated
Cheers
Mike
5 REPLIES 5
whiteshadow
Dabbler

Re: Streaming video content from Xbox Dashboard....

HI, thats really really slow!! no wonder you cant watch videos, xbox requires minimum 2000kbps and thats probably not fast enough (not sure about youtube).
theres defo something wrong with your connection even if you are on an 8 meg connection. have you tried plugging your router straight in at the main connection to your phone line?
If this gives you much better speeds its something wrong at your end of the line, if not then its something plusnet may have to sort out.
hope this helps and good luck!
whiteshadow
Dabbler

just thought I would show you my typical speed on 8 meg connection so you know what a fairly decent line looks like.
Just bear in mind I pay extra for pro so always get these speeds all day and pay more for higher upload speeds. (typical upload speed used to be about halved)
Not too sure about talk talk, they are very cheap but heard a lot of bad reviews
scootie
Grafter

i can run you through how to wireshark xbox traffic by running it through a pc with a wireless adapter and NIC (ethernet) , But looking at your speed stats etc it's not looking like the issue.
can you post your connection stats from your router, guide here on what stats to look for and how to get them http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
i helped PN a few years ago to get the streaming vids on xbox out of the gold plated (0x60) queue and back to 0x80 (gold) queue, its likely the odd one may still not be picked up right but overall i was happy with the new sig they put live, am a virgin media customer now due to new house and the length of copper that is attached to it and no fttc apart from trials at the time, other wise i would of done the xbox wiresharking for you
plusnetuce

Thanks for the replies guys
I had to reset my router to login ( I used Administrator instead of admin- doh! )
Plusnet Assist keeps popping up with 'Browser/Internet Problem Detected' - when I choose to fix is just launches the Plusnet Assist homepage but doesn't seem to do anything else.It's quite annoying.

My stats (including reset!) are:
Uptime: 0 days, 1:15:31
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 8,128
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 14.5 / 24.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.0 / 11.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 320
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

Other thing is that my newsgroup download speed always capped out at 800kbps but now not even half that 'off peak', less than 100 during the day.
Any thoughts?
plusnetuce

Thought I'd try before I go to work - what could have happened overnight?Huh