Did you mean: 

Strange gaming since elected to switch to unlimited

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Strange gaming since elected to switch to unlimited

Quote from: JamesM
Had to do another wireshark Kelly as I formatted my PC, I think I did it right.
Ticket number with wireshark
Cheers mate.

Hi there,
Sorry for the delayed response, We've had a look at the wireshark and it's currently being prioritised as Titanium so it's as it should be.
It might be worth creating a <a href="http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,106312.0.html">ping graph</a> so we can take a closer look at you line.
JamesM
Grafter

I have had to stop playing BF3 Chris, I don't know whether it is my new build using different ethernet drivers (intel instead of marvell), whether it is because of switching products, or because I bought aftermath. I am leaning toward aftermath, because on vanilla maps I can do pretty good and the lag isn't so bad but on aftermath servers it is shocking. The kill cam is the worst though, whichever server I am on (vanilla or aftermath) the kill cam seems to go about 1 frame per second. I know people say play a game to enjoy it, but when you get killed after putting half a magazine into someones head from 10 yards it gets a bit frustrating.
ClaretMatt
Grafter

I'm also getting lag spike issues playing games.  Ping seems quite low on BF3, 23 ish mostly, but it spikes up quite often causing nasty lag.  The game's unplayable IMO.  Also getting similar lag spikes with Star Wars The Old Republic.  This has been going on since we made the switch to Unlimited.  I also have Pro addon.
I read somewhere else that there's no benefit in having Pro any more if you're a gamer, is there any truth in this?
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Theres no need for pro its a waste of money, im a solid gamer and never use it. There is/was some known issues with lag on some gateways, we all from time to time get alittle spike or two thats normal for anyone but sometimes it can happen abit more often. The best thing to do is go here http://usertools.plus.net/ click on gateway checker bottom left, then report which gateway you are having lag with
Eg.. gateway known as ptn-ag04.
Then login into your router and disconnect then reconnect which will change gateways for you and should fix it.
I learned this from the guys here and it often works for me if i find a gatewy is having lag issues.
As far is im aware plusnet were replacing routers which would have fixed these issues, altho ive not seen any update on whats going on so far.
Also another thing to remember is that when playing bf3 (pc side) always join a Stesplace.co.uk server... i hear these servers have very low ping and pro players on them Wink

JamesM
Grafter

You have great servers Ste, as you know I was on your server yesterday playing wake. Everytime I jumped out of a tank though I was propelled about 20 yards away. If I came into contact with any of my team mates I started lagging really badly, as I do lately on every server.So I am struggling even on your servers mate. If I go up to a flag I am capping and move close enough to touch it, I also lagg. Its as though I am like a north pole on a magnet and everything moveable in game is north pole on a magnet. 
I play half a map now and have to quit as the problems I am having are really starting get at me.
St3
Aspiring Champion

im intrested to know what your spec is, also have you raised a ticket with plusnet regarding this.. and when did you notice these problems. If you dont mind sharing.. i just wonder if this is a gfx issue or somthing as i dont know anyone else with this problem.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 12

Hi Ste i dont think its a bf3 prob or a GFX , i get it too  Sad my specs below
it seams to be only ppl i know on PN , friends on outher ISP look ok except them  on sky which is alway poop aparently
Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

ptn-ag02 fine for games tonite  Wink
St3
Aspiring Champion

then if this is a pn problem i think its about time PN made a post about these recent issues and what they are doing to correct them
JamesM
Grafter

My specs, Ste,
Asus ROG Maximus V Formula, i7 3770K 3.5GHz clocked to a moderate 4.2GHz, 2 x 8 gig Corsair Vengeance memory @ stock 1600, N580GTX lightning, Creative PCIe X-Fi extreme audio, seagate barracuda SATA 2 500 gig.
Blim
Grafter

Nice system, do you use water cooling? I use the h80 and it works great with my FX 8 core @ 4.5ghz.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

From Kelly last week  Wink

« Reply #70 on 12/02/2013, 17:06 »
Hey guys,
Thought I owed you a little bit of an explanation as to what's been going on.
Basically, we have some devices in our network that aren't performing to their specification.  We've built the network design to be able to handle a certain amount of traffic flowing through each device, but they aren't handling it.    What is happening is that at our peak time, when these devices reach a certain amount of traffic they start to fail, and ask the core routers between them and the internet to slow down the rate at which they are sending traffic.   It is this slowing of the packets which you guys are seeing in the big spikes of latency on the thinkbroadband graphs.
Because the core router being asked to slow down in its transmission of data is before our traffic management platform, it is random as to what traffic is being affected.   This is what's causing the increase of gaming and ping and traceroute latency, and the buffering on streaming.
We've been working closely with the vendor for the past few weeks to try and determine what is happening.  Some of this work has required us to capture data from the platform directly while the problem was happening.  This is why you've seen 15-30min spikes of the problems happening and then disappearing.
The vendor is still working on the problem, but we've made some changes to our network to try and prevent the issue from triggering, by placing additional devices in the network.  These went active on Sunday and were brought into balance ready for the Monday night peak and thankfully we didn't see a return of the issue.   We've more work to do on the platform to "bulk it up" to prevent this materialising as the network bandwidth grows while the vendor debugs and hopefully provides us a patch.
Some of the other issues you guys have been seeing aren't directly related to the problem.  (I'm thinking the speed drops that Gus has seen, and some of the buffering, but not at peak).   They could however be related to a change we made to tighten up some bandwidth controls to help control the recurrence of the problem.  They could just be too tight.
So, tonight Dave is reversing these changes and I'm hoping that we should see much better performance across the network.  As always, please hop on here and give us a good yell at if performance is still dodgy.
I'd be interested in seeing speed tests, traceroutes, TBB graphs, ping plots and always which gateways you believe are affected.
Oh, and before someone suggests it, this isn't to do with Unlimited.  We'd be having the same problem even if we hadn't launched it Wink
JamesM
Grafter

Thanks Blim, Nice overclock mate.
I am on air using an artic freezer pro 7 from my last build, I am looking at getting a better cooler as from reading reviews the ivybridge seems to get a little hot. At the moment under load (BF3) I am hitting 60 degrees which is why I am sticking to 4.2 @ 1.12v until I get a better cooler. 4.5 GHz is my aim.
JamesM
Grafter

Here's what I have just done to try and narrow down my problem,
put my old monitor back on - same problem, lagging and stuttering
put my old graphics card in - same problem, lagging and stuttering
taken out my sound card and enabled the onboard one - same problem, lagging and stuttering
Put BFBC2 back on - same problem as BF3, lagging and stuttering.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero

JamesM , its not your Rig its summat with PN  Embarrassed
i have been on Gateway ptn-ag02. for last 2 days & gaming has been fine,  BF3 is all i play .
but like i said to Ste tonite we shouldnt have keep gateway hopping to get a decent connection , acording to Kelly last week they updated some of their network  Wink hopefully that eventually they will sort it out  Smiley
But like i have always said on this forum PN are Ace , except when we have the Odd hickup , i have faith they will sort it .
@ Kelly any updates on last weeks post ?
PS my Tbb meter shows when i am gaming the ping does rise , not a lot but it does
PS on fibre extra unlimited  73 down 17 up