cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam

Rolyin

Steam

Hi,
I have noticed with my steam downloads that they tend to be around 200KB/S but can sometimes peak at 1MB/S (This tends to be when you start a download).
Now i'm thinking this might be an issue with server selection, am I best selecting London as all my speed tests tend to have better speeds and ping from London or Manchester which is nearer to my physical location?
Thanks in advance.
6 REPLIES 6
Blim
Grafter

Re: Steam

Is your hard drive light on the whole time or most of the time while downloading games? could be youe HD slowing things down maybe?
Rolyin

My case doesn't have a HDD light to check.  I will have a look so see if there is some software I can use to check
Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Personally, I've always used the Netherlands content servers and usually max out most of the time, Back when I was on Plusnet, I used to be maxed out pretty much most of the time.
HDD I/O could also be playing a factor in this - Is it an SSD or a regular drive, if it's a regular one, you should be able to hear it chuntering away whilst it's doing it's stuff.
You could always look at http://www.hdtune.com/ and see what your R/W speeds are, etc.
Generally don't have a problem with Steam though, it's usually Origin that's slow as anything.
Cheers,
Matt
Blim
Grafter

Quote from: Rolyin
My case doesn't have a HDD light to check.  I will have a look so see if there is some software I can use to check

What speed do you get from speedtest.net?
You could try to see how responsive the drive is while downloading a game and then try to open a big file and see if there is a delay like a video file.
Alternatively, if you have a USB mem stick or sd card. You could try and save the game onto providing it has a faster write speed. Test the USB stick with a simple file transfer.
Rolyin

I usually get about 5-6Mbps on speed test (Although today it has dropped to 0.7 for some reason) and my HDD is a mechanical (Where my games are stored anyway) but the read and write speeds were over 150MB/s
Ill just play around trying different servers to see if it makes a difference.  Thanks for the help.
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

You should be getting 700-800kb/s or there abouts with a connection speed of 5-6mbit, with my 3.5mbit I get 450-470kb/s from steam consistently.  Last game i got on steam Farcry 3 during the sales.  I downloaded it over night and it weighed in at 11.5gig, which took about 7hours, so mine was running at full speed a week ago for certain.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November