cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam downloads extremely slow - Do plusnet cap this?

bruno

Steam downloads extremely slow - Do plusnet cap this?

Hello
I am on plusnet unlimited ADSL and the majority of the time i get a max of 30kb/s for game updates which is pretty poor and find it frustrating when trying to play Team Fortress 2. I have changed locations within the Steam software from London to Manchester and even set it to European locations and exactly the same 30kbs. It's not as though the updates are large typically between 50mb to 200mb
My Broadband speed test results
Date Download Speed Upload Speed
Today 21:46 6337 kbps (792kB/s) 379 kbps (47.4kB/s)
Do plusnet cap steam game updates?Huh
Thanks
Bruno
4 REPLIES 4
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Steam downloads extremely slow - Do plusnet cap this?

Not to my knowledge on the current packages - they usually come down at full speed except when the steam servers are overloaded which happens rather too frequently in my opinion.
You might be catching the backlash from all the Far Cry 3 downloads
However your package is more throttled but not to the extent you are seeing as I think Steam is classed as either gaming or download server which are limited to 2Mb/sec
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/plusnet_unlimited_archive.shtml#downloadSpeed...
bruno

Thanks Oldjim
Just tried downloading from Steam and does look like Steam overloaded servers rather than Plusnet. Thought i'd eliminate plusnet from the process  Smiley
My download speeds from Steam around 600 kb/s today.

matt_2k34
Grafter

Whenever its TF2 being slow, you can almost always bet that its Valve's problem, its not so much the bandwidth they're using (they've got 25GBit at their disposal  🐵 its the fact that they're usually downloading small files, which must be putting significant strain on the hardware itself...
I've always hoped PlusNet would sign up and do the 'dedicated' box thing (So PN could host ALL the games, and give us an 'exclusive' PlusNet Only area to download from... but I guess its quite a small market / amount of people to please by doing so  Cheesy
Regards
Matt
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@Bruno,
On the package that you're currently on gaming downloads are restricted to 2Mb. Have you seen the new products we announced recently? You will very likely be better switching to our new Unlimited service, it'll save you some money and doesn't have the same level of traffic management as your current product.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.