cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Static IP any good for Wii games and PS2 online games?

yamahagirl
Dabbler

Static IP any good for Wii games and PS2 online games?

Just upgraded to Broadband Your Way Pro as my sons play online games on the Wii and PS2 plus a few other PC online games such as Toontown and some wargames.
I know I can ask for a static IP address but not sure if is worth doing with the type of games they play online?
Welcome any advice on this - also going to be buying a new router soon and looking at the new draft N spec but not sure if that will impact good or bad on the online gaming.
7 REPLIES 7
James
Grafter

Re: Static IP any good for Wii games and PS2 online games?

Hiya,
I play online with my Wii quite a bit and I don't see any reason why you would need a static IP unless you were planning on hosting a gaming server.
So the answer is that it shouldn't make any difference Smiley
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

The N router wouldn't make any difference as the Wii isn't N specified and I doubt the PS2 is either.
I've found that using Ethernet cables seem to give a better gaming experience rather than wireless.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
yamahagirl
Dabbler

Thanks all - I think I will stick to the dynamic IP address for now - was going to buy one of those wireless game adapters today for the PS2 as it only has the fixed line ethernet but sounds like I would be wasting money.  Also realised today that I would still need a modem to plug into the N draft router!!  which sort of defeats the object of cutting down on deskspace and having to add n draft adapters to my laptops etc.
godsell4
Rising Star

I have a PS2, it is connected to a Netgear WGPS606 downstairs in the living room, it connects wirelessly (set to 802.11b mode) to the Netgear DG834G in the loft room ... works fine.
regards,
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
yamahagirl
Dabbler

I didn't realise I could wirelessly connect my PS2 to my router??  I will have to find some instructions online to see how you do this.
James
Grafter

Unless I'm very much mistaken, you'll need to buy a wireless adapter (for your PS2) to do that.
I still love my PS2 Smiley
godsell4
Rising Star

There are devices sometimes called wireless gaming or media adaptors, instead I went for a WGPS606, which has 4 ports and could be a print server too, it costs about the same as the gaming/media adaptors too!
@yamahagirl - my PS2 (the larger old style type) is connected by cable to the WGPS606, the WGPS606 is then wireless to my DG834G two floors up in the loft.
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed