cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Star Wars - The Old Republic - Incorrect Traffic Priority?

Amalea
Dabbler

Re: Star Wars - The Old Republic - Incorrect Traffic Priority?

Quote from: Ben
Morning all, I've got our copy and will be testing this today so hopefully I'll be able to report back with a completed definition to add to Ellacoya Smiley

It's a hard life testing these things for work  Wink
Sunday night lag was awful (after 4pm). Last night later on there were some spikes (around 10-11pm) but generally played ok. Oddly before Sunday there seemed to be no issues - I'm wondering if a patch they released altered something at a wild guess. If it helps myself and my boyfriend have been playing on Seth'ari.
kingkobra
Grafter

It was Saturday afternoon where it was worst for me. Not been as bad since then. Literally couldn't stay connected for more than five minutes at a time.
Get occasional large latency spikes, but nothing that has lasted long enough for a disconnection since Saturday. I did put it down to their servers to begin with, but I asked in chat and no-one else was having any issues, and I remembered having a similar problem with EverQuest 2 was launched, and it was traffic management causing it then.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Installing this now... Did it take anyone else a whole hour to install all 3 DVDs then download and install further content, create user accounts, etc.?!!
kingkobra
Grafter

Did one of the final beta's in November, so luckily didn't need to download much to upgrade it to launch version.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

An hour and 10 mins later and firing up Goluud Corridor, Hidden Beks is a 40 min+ wait...
Update:
We've got the packet capture, it's not a simple one as the port changes in a range 10,000 wide! However, we think we've found a unique key that's transmitted which should help us identify the stream. We need to review a couple more captures to make sure the same key is present and then we'll let you all know when we can push it out for release - feel free to pop ticket numbers on this thread so we can pick them up before CSC flag to them to us. We've seen the traffic in the silver stream (0x40) so there's definitely a problem there as the game's traffic doesn't fit in with any of the existing definitions.
Thanks for your patience and sorry we didn't catch it before release!
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Thanks for the feedback Ben,
I'd offer a capture but I can't get my son off the game to set one up!!
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
kareha
Grafter

Looking forward to the fix going through, it's Hidden Beks that I'm on and again like clockwork the lag has started as soon as 6pm hit, so playing is pretty bad Sad
Glad to see that you found the problem though and I wait in anticipation of it being finally resolved Smiley
kingkobra
Grafter

I will add another capture to my ticket as soon as I can on a server Smiley
kareha
Grafter

Do we have any idea how long this fix will be cos atm the game is virtually unplayable for me from 6pm till around midnight Sad
kareha
Grafter

Spoke to soon, past midnight now and the lag is just as bad, best I've had his just over 300,000ms, starting to get beyond a joke now Sad
kingkobra
Grafter

I've added a new capture to my ticket, starting from launching the game to getting into the world. Ticket number 49989539.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@kingkobra
Thanks, I've let the right people know.
@kareha
Hopefully the extra captures will show the same key in which case the definition itself won't take long to complete. However, we then need to review the scope of the change to our traffic management platform in order to ensure it is tested properly which undergoes extra scrutiny at this time of year (due to a lot of staff taking holidays).
@walker23
A late capture is absolutely fine, it will help us confirm that the intended solution will work!
Amalea
Dabbler

Cheers for the updates on this (it's what really makes plusnet stand out, you guys tell customers what is actually going on!).
I'll get a capture uploaded tonight as well. I'd guess the massive port range is why sometimes it works fine, and others it's laggy as hell. Although as I don't really know networking I could be talking utter nonsense too.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We're just passing the proposed change around the business to make sure that everyone's happy with the change... No eta on an implementation but we'll keep you all posted Smiley
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

We've put a temporary fix in place for today, if you can give it a go please and let us know what it's like tonight we can then look at a more permanent fix which we'll roll out after the holidays.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology