Star Trek Online

Being a die hard Eve Onliner... I of course have now bought Star Trek Online
So I was wondering if anyone else has downloaded the open beta yet
Boffles
11 REPLIES 11
David_W
Rising Star

Re: Star Trek Online

Me! Though i got a free key.  It's very good in the morning when there is no lag, when lag pops up it's almost unplayable with constant disconnects.  I'm guessing PN haven't added the game to it's list of titanium exceptions yet.  Space combat seems fun and tactical, turning your ship around so the Borg attack your front shields and you power them up, then turn sideways to give your front shields time to recover.
It's pretty enjoyable I guess, I haven't played it today but will get in to it tomorrow and rise to the rank of Admiral and then take over the Universe (wait, Star Fleet are the good guys?)
Playing the game made me want to watch the 2009 Star Trek film, pretty good and it'll be interesting to see where the new parallel universe takes us, Pike no longer will go to that planet with Spock taking over the ship, Vulcan is gone, will Voyager come back (Star Trek the motion picture), rumour has it the next movie brings the Borg, though one theory is that Voyager (the probe) is part Borg anyhow so maybe that's the change...  Scotty was played perfectly.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If one of you would be willing to do a wireshark capture whilst playing the game and add the pcap file to a ticket, I'll pass this through to Tommo so we can get the game added for you.
Also, yes - Simon Pegg is a genius. Can't think of a part I've seen him play in any TV or film that wasn't brilliant. There wasn't enough of him in the latest Star Trek I reckon, though I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the later films. Wonder if he'll get to meet Data?
David_W
Rising Star

I've got the wireshark capture and it already looks promising.  Some traffic is 0xa0 but others are 0x00.  The ticket is 31565950
There's lots of checksum fails:
Header checksum: 0x0000 [incorrect, should be 0x8efd] - for instance.
Galdere
Grafter

Yes, please add STO to the Ellacoya traffic management database. Looks like dgwebb has it covered, but I'll help if required.
Thanks
EDIT: Matt, the new film is in a different time line now, so the same Data is highly unlikely to ever exist. Sad
derboff
Grafter

sigh... after 5 attempts to download and still no luck... time to try again tonight in free download time....
David_W
Rising Star

Quote from: Galdere
EDIT: Matt, the new film is in a different time line now, so the same Data is highly unlikely to ever exist. Sad

Data comes from pre-Star Trek (ToS), he's actually devised in Star Trek (Enterprise) era, when the NX-01 catches Sung who is messing around with genetic modification on humans, gets thrown in prison and starts work on an android (later to become Data and Lore, as well as Data's "mother" and the Data from the final Star Trek movie where Data dies).  Data then should exist, as Sung won't have much to do with the federation.  What becomes of the federation without Vulcan, I don't know, Kirk himself will have changed because in the original time line his father was alive, but this new one, more of a rebel with a troubled past.  Will Spock become all emo though, without the ability to go to Vulcan for decades of mediation his human side may come out more.  Maybe.
The ticket is moving through the system though, no idea how long it'll take to add the game to the filters.
Galdere
Grafter

That's Arik Soong in enterprise, Noonien Soong's (creator of data) great grandfather.
Arik said that said that developing an artificial lifeform "might take a generation or two."
Data was created sometime during the 2330s and was destroyed in 2379.
Thanks for ticket update. Can a PN staff member pick it up please?
David_W
Rising Star

Ticket's been answered:
I can confirm we already prioritise this game correctly, the wireshark captures confirm this.
Howerver if you do see any issues please contact or support centre.

Smiley
Galdere
Grafter

Sweet.
One more to add to the stickied list then.
Cheers
David_W
Rising Star

Question for the PN guys which is confusing me.  From the capture we have:
Differentiated Services Field: 0xa0 (DSCP 0x28: Class Selector 5; ECN: 0x00) - Which has a source as 208.95.x.x (STO server) but then we have:
Differentiated Services Field: 0x00 (DSCP 0x00: Default; ECN: 0x00) - which is source 192.168.0.3 (my PC)
Incoming from STO is 0xa0, Titanium so high priority.  Out going though is 0x00 which is Gold?  For MMORPG's (and MMO's in general) it's not just incoming packets that are important, it's out going also, the server naturally has to know where you are, what you're doing and all that stuff, so packet drops on an out going connection would be bad?
All the outgoing connections seem to have an error in Wireshark:
Header checksum: 0x0000 [incorrect, should be 0x8c5c]
I'm not sure what that actually means, well I know it means Bad Checksum but I don't know what that means or if its good/bad to have that.
So are packets dropped on an outgoing connection?  Should outgoing connections to 0xa0 also be classed as 0xa0?  Or is it just the incoming connections that are important so outgoing can be lower priority, though, that doesn't make much sense to me.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Outgoing traffic is always 0x00 - it hasn't been through any of the PlusNet traffic management kit yet so won't be tagged
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'