cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow updates on PS4

Devonian
Grafter

Slow updates on PS4

Am I alone in getting slooooow updates downloaded, or is it a PSN thing?
I have never had a PS3, so I have no way of comparing, however my 360 has always been very fast.
My PS4 is wired direct to the router.

My samknows report:
9 REPLIES 9
AndyH
Grafter

Re: Slow updates on PS4

What are sites like speedtest.net and the TBB speed test showing right now (when your PS4 is off)?
When I had a PS4 at XMAS, there was a speed test you could also run in networking - have you tried that?
Devonian
Grafter

Speed for me is fine.
An hour ago the bt speed test gave me 11meg (I can't run a speed test now and post it as Netflix is streaming a SuperHD film currently)
Everything else in the house is fine, it's just the PS4.
Devonian
Grafter

Oh, and I know there are a few downloads being performed at once, but it is the same if they are performed singly.
AndyH
Grafter

What about the PS4 speed test? Did you find/try that?
I downloaded a few games back at XMAS and had no problems with those - so I doubt it would be the traffic management system at PN.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've recently bought a PS3 so when I finally move house (shortly) I'll give it a go and let you know if I notice it running slowly.
It could have been a one-off though but I'll certainly give it a try. (I know it's not a PS4, but it's worth a go).
dave
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 4

We've got a PS4 in the office, last download I did was getting 16Mbps (on a 16Mbps line). Chris, if you want to test it ask PJ.
Dave Tomlinson
Enterprise Architect - Network & OSS
Plusnet Technology
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Can anyone else let me know if they've been having similar issues?
I have found this thread: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Network-Support/PS4-Downloading-Incredibly-slow-s...
Devonian
Grafter

My PS4 has been slow downloading since day one.
Everything else in the house is fine, and the Xbox downloads at line speed, so it must be PS4 related in some way.
1 thing I will say though, is the PS4 isn't getting that much use at the moment as there's not to many games to play, so maybe it's just a coincidence that every time I switch on, the PSN is busy or having problems, but I can't really see it.
I do use the music streaming though (I took a premium sub) and it streams perfectly.
hex
Grafter

No real issues here that I have noticed (other than a few times when PSN itself has been slow) - downloads do not seem to max out the connection but move along at a decent enough speed.  The PS4 network test reports lower than speed tests but was always the case on the PS3 too - can't take a screenshot of that but it reports nat type 2, download 58.2Mbps, upload 9.1Mbps for me.
In your screenshot the firmware download was preparing to install so that could have impacted things (maybe limiting HD access speed if it was unpacking stuff) but no doubt you have seen it on other occasions also.
PS4 update + samknows/speedtest screenshots attached.
PS. just noticed my samknows box has not reported any data for this month (bit strange since it is on and running but guess it needs a reboot) so included a snapshot from last month that is representative.