Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Significant Lag Issues from 8pm onwards

jocky
Dabbler

Significant Lag Issues from 8pm onwards

Evening folks,

For the last two years I've intermittently had issues with lag and rubber banding in PC games over multiple machines within my home. Whether it be over Wifi or LAN, the issues remain persistent, despite knowing that the computers here are all fine - my son and daughter both have no issues using University net.
So, the problem? At around 8pm most evenings games including, but not limited to, Counter Strike: Source, CS: Global Offensive, Guild Wars 2, all Call of Duty's and Battlefield 3 suddenly become unplayable online. This is as a consequence of ping spiking from 30ms to 180ms+ and serious freezing and rubber banding occurring. On occasion this may not be an issue, but when playing is seriously disrupted for the course of several hours it is actually incredibly frustrating.
Router settings have been fiddled with, a new router has been ordered from Plusnet, I've tried port-forwarding, online guides, support from friends and those I play with - still no luck. Whilst this lag could be attributed to saturation of the router at home and poor WiFi signals, but even when all but one device in the house is disconnected from the WiFi the issue still remains. There are no issues throughout the day.
I've fired off support tickets in the past with regards to connected issues, but still had no luck. Seeing as this is a persistent issue with the Plusnet connection, I was wondering whether anyone has any advice as to the path to follow from here on outwards? My son is constantly pestering me to move away to a fiber package with Virgin Media for the speed increase, but I'm quite happy here with Plusnet Premium and would like to resolve the issue as opposed to going through the hassle of switching.

Needless to say, all computers in question are free of Spyware and Viruses, along with running up to date drivers and having regularly cleared registries.

Any ideas?
Cheers,
Paul
14 REPLIES 14
flaminmoses
Grafter

Re: Significant Lag Issues from 8pm onwards

its the gateways.
people constantly hopping fills em up so you have to hop and hope you land in one that isnt over crowded.
too many customers online and gameing is pointless
jocky
Dabbler

Cheers for the fast reply - appreciate it.
If it is the gateways is there nothing Plusnet can do their side to resolve the issue? If not, how would I go about switching gateways to dodge lag at peak hours?
flaminmoses
Grafter

tbh i doubt they will spend money on resourses "just" for gamers.
i suggested a gateway just for gamers...but even if that does fill up your gonna have the same issues.
only way is to find an isp that isnt overcrowded.....the likes of sky talk talk bt etc over advertise so are unlikely to ever be great for gaming always.
i joined plusnet when they were just an up and coming outfit.....gameing was great.
after a while of advertising and being competetive price wise the gameing became very mixed.
thats why im livid with the contract tie ins.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

@flaminmoses
We're not overcongested, I'm not sure why you think that? Generally the gateways are in very good balance (in particular 21CN) following the autobalancing tool recently.
@jocky
I'll ask one of the team here to look into the issues you're reporting as those games are already prioritised so you shouldn't be having issues with them.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Jocky: Just had a look at your account and I can't see any references to a fault being raised or anything.  It sounds like we need get one raised for you.  Can you go to http://faults,plus.net and raise one?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jocky
Dabbler

@Chris @Kelly - Thanks for the replies, I'll submit a fault report now.
Edit: Should I be going through the Broadband tests now, or should I be doing so at the times during which I have issues?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Do them now and I've asked Chris (different one!) to pick up the problem and look into it.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Have you currently got an issue with your phone line, it looks like you've stated you do on your fault ticket?
I see that you had an issue raising this. I'll get your connection checked over. Are you able to connect to your test socket?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've raised a fault with our suppliers so we're waiting for an update.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No fault has been detected from the testing that has been performed. Your line has been dropping recently and there are also some errors on your line.
Your current downstream SNR dB is set to 3dB which may be a little low so it would be worth us trying this on 6dB.
Would you also be able to create a TBB graph so we can see what is happening on your line around 8pm?
jocky
Dabbler

@Chrispurvey Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, have been occupied with work.
I'm running the TBB graph now so will put it up later this evening. It's probably worth adding I've been seeing repeated connection drops throughout today, with several computers reporting that although they are connected to the router, there is no internet connection available. This has happened 3/4 times today alone on a router that is still fairly new.
Cheers for the help, really appreciate it. I'll get back to you as soon as possible.
jocky
Dabbler

Graph is up - http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/612af09df1b203dbedce9747dccbfdcb.html
A big block of red. That can't be good.
ICMP was already allowed through Kaspersky, but have fiddled with a few settings to see if that will resolve the graph issue.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Looks like something isn't set up to respond to the pings on your side.  Check that your router is replying?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
flaminmoses
Grafter

strange one.
i used to try and play online between 8-10 then gave up a few months ago.
would play after 10pm.
but recently this has changed and got better for me.
now after 1130 ish it gets a bit sketchy.
looking at my graphs the only thing ive spotted was between 2am and 4am there was a rise on the yellow spikes..

very odd