cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I reboot my router....

silverstream
Dabbler

Should I reboot my router....

Ok now I'm confused, after reading plusnet infor and various posts on here as to weather i shold reboot my router,
reson being Plus net info says during the first 10 days you should repoot it several times to help establish the best speed sevral posts on here say do not as it will give you a low sync reading? and therfore end up with a lower line speed.
now I always thought if you rebooted the router it would force it to reconect at the higest speed avalibe (i may have this wrong)
my dilema is this now last night after switching to plusnet my speed reading was around 6,2mb/s most of the night were as today its about 1.6mb/s so should i reboot it or not?  Undecided
11 REPLIES 11
scootie
Grafter

Re: Should I reboot my router....

well your trying to make sure that you dont get a low sync event in the 10 day training period which would mean the fault theshold would be alot lower if you did and make it harder to get BTw to fix any speed faults you might have in the future.
the best time to sync is midday (when noise is noramly alot lower) bad times to sync are overnight and hour before sunrise and hour before sunset
so if you feel your line could sync faster the best time to do it is midday
personaly i would'nt do resync no more than once every 2 days why training. thats my opinion and there's lots of theroy's as to the best way to go about the 10 day training.
whats your line stats? this will help you if you dont know how to get them from your router http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
silverstream
Dabbler

that makes sense, thanks for the quick reply  Smiley
with regards to stats atached is asdl stats on the router speed now has gone back up too 6.3 mb/s so no pobs
Oxigin
Grafter

I have a question in regards to the same thing. Sorry for the hi-jack 😃
Monday - Friday it wont be possible for me to turn of my router at midday (due to being at work) I wont get home till about 6pm, Is this a good time to turn the router off ? The other time I could turn it off would be 6:30AM is that any better ?
Also how long does it need to be turned off for ?
Thanks
James
Grafter

Hiya,
6:30am will be absolutely fine.  You'll only need to turn it off for about 30 seconds.
scootie
Grafter

@oxigin
6.30am is about spot on at this time of year if you see the graph below this is my snr raising up in the morning and hits its daytime level at about 6.15am. you still wont get the best possable sync but it alot better than doing when you snr is still down at night time levels.
Currently my snr in the evening is starting to drop at about 8.30pm
So anytime between these times is fine all tho it will vary abit depending on where you live in the uk as sunrise sunset vary abit over the uk.
These times are spot on for the derbyshire area at this time of year
James
Grafter

Having fun there AB?
scootie
Grafter

no iam not.
adiweoo should be here soon to sweap away the mess. just kept hanging when trying to upload. in end had post the text first then modify to add graphs and then it took a couple trys and then this bomb site turned up hehe.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

[Moderator's note by Adie (Adiewoo) swept, tidied and put away]
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oxigin
Grafter

Thats great thanks for the replies,
How long do I need to keep it off for ?.. Would 30 minutes be ok ?
Thanks.. Sorry for all the questions  Undecided
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

As Jameseh posted it only needs to be off for about 30 seconds.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Oxigin
Grafter

Embarrassed Haha sorry didnt see that !  Cheesy
Thank you all for your help !