cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I change packages...

missisbeki
Grafter

Should I change packages...

Hi guys this is my first post I think so bear with me, also I have the technical knowledge of a stunned bear so Im sorry in advance.
Im currently on the broadband my way option 3 package, but have been getting terrible speeds and at some points unable to play online on xbox 360 and just browse at same time, infact sometimes I cant even play online.
I contacted the support team who advised me to do the BT speed tests (to eliminate contention whatever that is) anytime from midnight to 6 am I think it was.
Problem is im hardly ever up at that time so pretty impossible for me.
Anyway I was looking at the new-ish packages and wondered if changing to another package would help.
I mainly use my net for playing online on xbox 360 and then general internet stuff so facebook, emails few forums, occasionally my little boy plays cbeebies and watches a few cartoons online but not often.
I was looking at either the pro or premium options.
Sorry if this all sounds jumbled im pretty tired out.
thanks
5 REPLIES 5
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Should I change packages...

If your peak time usage (8am to midnight) is less than 20GB per month I'd recommend you go for Pro.
Premium shaping is not a lot different to BBYW 3 - compare at http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Gaming should be prioritised at all times so changing package shouldn't affect this, especially on the XBOX where all the ports for the games are the same.
It does sound like you may have a connection issue. If you can't browse and game at the same time.
Run a BT speedtest during the day and also post results from www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk.
Also can you post the stats from your router.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
missisbeki
Grafter

I used to have a big connection problem where it would cut out and slow speeds but that was with talk talk and i had a problem on my line to the house which was replaced by BT, then I moved to pusnet and everything was great then everything just seemed to really slow down like lagging.
I think i have done a speedtest.net test and it showed my ping at over 100.... but again im not good with technical stuff!
How do I get the stats from my router?
And can it be any time of day that I do the speedtest?
Quote from: jelv
If your peak time usage (8am to midnight) is less than 20GB per month I'd recommend you go for Pro.
Premium shaping is not a lot different to BBYW 3 - compare at http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping.htm

Sept- Oct I used 13.29 GB
Oct-Nov 10.53 GB
Nov-Dec 9.66 GB
thats all paid for useage.
What is shaping? (told you im useless  Embarrassed )

Ok tried doing the BT speed test and it said i need to " ask for the Service ID of your broadband connection and try again with this Service ID along with your Telephone Number" as it failed to get a reading so how do i get that?

This is as close to late night testing im going to get

dick:quote
snoopukairsoft

Hi there, easiest way to get your service ID is to look at your bank statements, theres a Pnet(number), -1 or similar, the number will be your service ID. Try it and see what you get.
The speed issues, are they at any specific time during the day? Evening, after 6, etc. or does it seem to be any time at all?
Lastly, does your router get turned off regularly? If so, consider leaving it on for a few days. The newer ADSL systems look for consistent disconnecting and see it as maybe a sign of an incorrect setting on the line. If it stays consistently on for 3 days, it might "Re-train" back to a higer value.
Hope this Helps
Jon Hill
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

You don't need to put anything in the Service ID box.
Don't forget to click the 'Yes' button above.

Shaping or Traffic Shaping is the speed restrictions applied to your broadband depending what package you are on, what you are doing and the time of day.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine