Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server hosting anyone?

Mattz0r
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Server hosting anyone?

Hey guys,
I have a dedicated server, that really isn't doing much...
I'm thinking of hosting a couple of game servers... Any of you keen gamers have any ideas of what to run, that would be "popular"?
Its a quad core, with plenty of beef, so should be able to handle quite a bunch of servers, it's also on an unmetered 100mbps port Smiley
18 REPLIES 18
SilentBoBuk
Dabbler

Re: Server hosting anyone?

hey Matt
Have you spoken with the guys on the PN steam account users see if there interested, the only things that i can think about is MOH,COD seriesd but not many people on here use PC (can not understand why far better game play than ps3 or xbox)  maybe a vote for pc communtiy players is in order????Huh
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Quite possibly.
I Know what COD is, can't quite put a meaning to MOH though.. care to enlighten me?
imroberts
Grafter

MOH = Medal of Honor
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Okay, I feel stupid now, I should have totally known that one  Embarrassed
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

PN used to host servers and ended up a community venture but that died a while back.  The days of UT/CS/MOH dedicated servers for general gaming I would say has been and gone with consoles taking over.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Consoles are never good for FPS.
I stand by what i've always said.... You can never get a good experience with an FPS without playing with a keyboard and mouse. You have so much more control over everything.
matt_2k34
Grafter

You can never get a good experience with an FPS without playing with a keyboard and mouse

Indeed, but the consoles are far too popular - the PC is getting left behind Sad
Steam ftw.
i think you'll struggle to find a common game tbh....
OpenTTD anyone? Smiley
Myst
Grafter

There is still quite decent activity on CoD4 servers, (also cod2 for that matter) providing you can reguarly get 2-3 to get on to begin with they soon populate to a good playable number.
Live for Speed servers tend to get usage too, until we got rid of our dedi we were running 8 instances at one stage, at the same time as 3 cod games ,(very little resources needed) those being a mixture of demo (free) and S2 licenced.
I would run a mixture of stuff, trial and error and see if any get activity on, then go from there
matt_2k34
Grafter

I would love an LFS server, providing it was up to the standard of : This
Loved their servers before they shut them down.
I've seen your programming ability mattz0r, and i think its a little out of your reach (currently) although if you want a project .... 😉
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Quote from: Matt_2k34

I've seen your programming ability mattz0r, and i think its a little out of your reach (currently) although if you want a project .... 😉

I dont program.. so yes, it is out of my reach... lol its on the top shelf Wink
wacky17
Grafter

Quote from: SilentBoBuk
Have you spoken with the guys on the PN steam account users

I keep forgetting their is a PN com on steam anyway just joined, my name is wacky if you want to have a game of something.
@Mattz0r  you could host borderlands,l4d/2,dirt2,f1 2010.
Mattz0r
Rising Star

Yeah, Will sort something out Smiley
I've not really configured any game servers for quite some time now, will be fun to get back into it..
There was a time where i could configure a CS 1.6 server with my eyes closed in like less than an hour lol.
David_W
Rising Star

I had a look at steam and had a look in "tools", there are a fair few servers available there among them Team Fortress 2 (which is a game I love, I'm going to have to download it I guess... after midnight).  Only games on that list I would play would be TF2 and America's Army 3 though.  Still, TF2 with lots of decent maps would be good if the ping was low.  That would get people playing the server which would get it popular so people would play the server etc.. it's one of those silly self fulfilling things, until it becomes popular no one will use it (probably).
Yep, going to get TF2 tonight... Pirates, Vikings, and Knights II Dedicated Server, whut?  Crazy
Mattz0r
Rising Star

In that case, I shall get a dedicated TF2 server up...
What sort of game modes do you guys like? I usually go for the capture points Cheesy