cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Second Life - not supported

Docrob
Grafter

Second Life - not supported

We are on PlusNet Business Premier up to 8Mb . This is a legacy account and now superseded by Business option 3. However, the account that we are on and paying for, is supposed to be  uncapped and given the top priority.
We are also a user of Second Life, from both a businesses perspective - on line meetings etc as well as leisure activities. Since mid November, performance has been degraded, particularly during the 7pm to 9pm time frame. After a lot of work with Linden labs who run Second life it looks very much like some of the ports used are throttled or are low priority despite the account supposed to be uncapped and to be given top priority for traffic. This is confirmed by being able access all the Second Life functions (teleport being the worst effected) via my laptop and 3g mobile phone at a time when I couldn't do this via plus net.   I have raised a ticket about this and Plus Net have not responded - it is now over 80 hours since I raised it.
The sub nets, ports etc are listed in:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:What_are_Second_Life%27s_subnets
Ports are listed in :
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Firewall_Configuration#Ports
and this is also relevant:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Unusually_restrictive_firewalls_block_teleporting

Does anybody else have issues with SL and plus net ?
8 REPLIES 8
topfisher
Grafter

Re: Second Life - not supported

I use Second Life, it can be laggy but no other problems.
Docrob
Grafter

Thanks for the reply. We don't have problems with lag that much but with Teleport failing - being timed out and logged out. Are you on 21CN? things got worse when we moved to it.
topfisher
Grafter

Hi, I'm pretty sure I'm not on 21CN. Is there any way to check I'm not on 21CN?
topfisher
Grafter

I've just checked my telephone exchange. 21CN is not available yet so that answers the question. Hope you get your problem sorted.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

i'd suggest you try wiresharking the traffic to make sure it's being assigned the correct priority. if you search our website you'll find a help article on it.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Docrob
Grafter

From the latest stsus the 21CN gateways are:
Customer on 21CN will now be able to connect to any of the following gateways: PCL-AG02, PCL-AG03, PCL-AG04, THN-AG1 or THN-AG2.
From what I can gather, during the lead up to being moved to 21CN your traffic maybe routed over the 21CN network by BT even though you are still connecting as the 20Cn network.
I have used wireshank and you responded to my 1st capture Bob. I have since provided 2 more. From what I can tell the issue is not with traffic to me that appears to be correctly asigned, but the outgoing which wireshank cannot capture.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Outgoing traffic doesn't go via the traffic management switches which is why there's no ToS marking. It's not indicative of a problem.I'd check the captures but I've no access to the VPN at the moment.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵