cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SKY+, Last FM, IPTV on a home console. It's the future, are you ready plusnet?

BinaryDragon
Dabbler

SKY+, Last FM, IPTV on a home console. It's the future, are you ready plusnet?

I just sent this to the peeps at Plus net and await their response:
"Ok so Microsoft just announced that I'll be able to stream Sky tv through my xbox as well as Last.FM and the like. My problem is that this is basically IPTV with the advent of this and services like it are you going to make more realistic packages for heavy media users.
I can kind of guess that people with this are going to be hitting the pre determined limits left right and centre. It's going to be mad. The 21cn network should be able to support it (even the old network isn't under strain as much anymore) With American ISP (which all have next to NO competition) giving customers basic limits of 200 to 300GB per month (and their inferstucture is 3 years behind ours in the UK).
It seems almost a joke to be getting limits like 15gb. Even if I can buy more gb or download at night, streaming is right now, whenever I can.
Don't tell me your not going to innovate or evolve with the times, if I get my connection throttled in the middle of Lost...heads will roll.. Tongue
If you can't answer or comment on all of this in a informed way PLEASE pass it on to someone who can, I'm looking to see if I should move on from Plusnet (after almost 5 years of devotion) all because I see a not to distant future where 150-200gb a month being a norm.
IPtv is coming to the Xbox360 soon. You need to be ready and I want you to be. If your not I'll probably move on..."

As I think we all want to know, I'll keep you posted on replies etc. Feel free to comment.
11 REPLIES 11
scootie
Grafter

Re: SKY+, Last FM, IPTV on a home console. It's the future, are you ready plusnet?

would the unlimited package now on offer from plusnet with no FUP as well suit you?  Smiley
BinaryDragon
Dabbler

Re: SKY+, Last FM, IPTV on a home console. It's the future, are you ready plusnet?

What is FUP?
My problem is that there is not a unlimited package that takes advantage of the 21cn network capacity. ANd they throttle gaming traffic which means I couldn't do the streaming over xbox live that I want to. When I asked them they wouldn't budge. Throttling gaming traffic is daft. I run multiple xbox360s in my house and with playing with peeps in the us on COD I STILL get lag and voice hicups with 8500 down 2000 up.
They need to not throttle gaming traffic with the advent of IPTV and all the streaming media, no one is looking forward.

Dick:Quote
scootie
Grafter

i can asure you that the streaming vids on XBL are given line speed.
i should know i begged PN and wiresharked the xbox dashboard to death
did you not notice that when NXE was first released the streaming vids took donkeys to buffer and paused a hell of alot at peak times
the start of the long battle to help PN get the right sig for streaming vids on xbl started here http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,73332.msg596217.html#msg596217
FUP  fair usage policy.
they get away with out using a fair usage policy due to the traffic mangment but as streaming is given line speed 
so no fup (true unlimited usage) and traffic mangment would give the sky player line speed on xbox when its relesed and PN get a sig for the traffic live
so dont worry your cotton socks all you have to decide is unlimited package o.k for you in terms of the slightly diffrent p2p caps ect and a new 12 month contract for existing customers.
personaly i wouldnt give ruppert bear any of my money so i wiil not be using the sky player when its out in the autumn and my wireshark will be on his hols when its relesed ( boy does that shark need a holiday Grin )
if youre wondering what all the shark talk is about then the PN comms team will fill you in  Roll_eyes
http://teh-r0x0rz.co.uk/?p=134
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

ASBO DOG is right, we apply line speed to xbox media streams and I see no reason why we should treat the proposed SKY content any different. Whilst it's definitely good news for xbox owners I don't see it being worlds apart from the BBC iPlayer's hi-def streams that come down at about 3Mbps (I'd also imagine there will be much more exposure to the BBC feeds seeing that everybody in the UK has access to them if their line speed is high enough).
2Mbps should really be sufficient for gaming even with multiple xbox's on your network.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I don't see any difference between streaming the iPlayer on my PS3 and PC.
The Sky streaming is also already available to PC owners and I can't see the XBOX crowd taking it up in such vast numbers to dwarf that market.
Still no browser though?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
itsme
Grafter

I thought that IPTV was not streaming but multicast which PN does not support, I believe?
scootie
Grafter

My problem is that this is basically IPTV

it will not be IPTV.
best guess is the IP's that will be used for sky player on xbox will be limelight ones
BinaryDragon
Dabbler

I was talking abou the amount of data transfer that would intail.
HD Discovery Channel? Yeah that stuff is gonna bleed my FUP.
Grandpa
Grafter

If Be there can provide a 20Meg+ connection with no traffic shaping and no download limits for just less than my 8mb package, without it causing any apparent problems then how come PlusNet cannot do the same (Or other ISP's for that matter).
I know about the argument for the old phone network been overloaded but with the advent of faster speeds, Net TV and an increasing amount of internet content then I think the download limits and traffic shaping are going to cause customers to goto the ISPs that don't have limits, Ok this MAY eventually overload their networks with so many people migrating to them but until that happens people are still going to switch ISPs as they can always switch again if they do have problems.
Just my two penneth worth  Smiley
zubel
Community Veteran

scootie
Grafter

grandpa remember all most all other isp's offering unlimited stick a fair usage policy in the t an c's where plusnets unlimited usage package doesnt us FUP just the traffic mangment. so where PN customers could stream iplayer 24/7 for 30 days staright at line speed where othe isps would kick there FUP into force