cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rubber banding during gaming

Whitelionel

Rubber banding during gaming

Hi all,

New to the forum, I'm just after some help with my service.

So I had fibre installed about 2 months ago ish. After installation I was having dramatic fluctuations in speed, it was dropping to around 30mbps, but if I reset the connection from my device it would bang back up.

I swapped routers via a very friendly plusnet staff member but it was still happening, so I decided to give it a month.

Brilliantly, I now seem to get a decent speed throughout the day.

However, now I seem to be getting a lot of rubber banding when playing Xbox and the chat cuts out large chunks for friends voices. The router is in my main hallway and only has to pass through one wall and is about 10 meters away distance wise.

I have tried opening ports as advised by some forums. Placed my Xbox in a DMZ and still have these issues.

I've never had these issues before using wifi in other properties for 15 years.

Ita been happening for a month now, is there anything else I can do?
5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 58

Re: Rubber banding during gaming

@Whitelionel 

Fisrt question is what type of "fibre" do you have?

In a victory for the marketing people over common sense "Fibre" is FTTC and "Full Fibre" is FTTP.

Many people get confused by this so users on this forum tend to check first before offering advice.

Brian

Whitelionel

Full fibre 300, FTTX which is showing as connected @ 1gbps on the hub stats page.

Otherwise, get around 200mbps on a speed test.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 58

@Whitelionel 

Thanks for that. I'm not a WiFi expert so I'll leave to others to comment.

The one thought I do ask is - is there any chance of running ethernet cable? This is always more reliable than WiFi.

Brian

Whitelionel

If I had my own way I'd have wired connections to my consoles, this isn't an option yet unfortunately.

I have however, gone trekking through the forum and found my IPv6 was set to "Stateless", I've turned this off and reset the router and it appears the it's dramatically improved.

I'm still a bit dubious though as it could deteriorate over the next hour or so. I'll be sure to update here to see if this is better over time.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 435

Check that your wireless devices are using the 5ghz wifi band. The Hub 2 uses the same SSID for both the 2.4 & 5 ghz bands , so you need to set your devices to prefer 5ghz.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.