cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router

chatburger
Grafter

Router

Can anyone recommend a good router for gaming?? I have a Xbox upstairs(wired)  and one in the shed(wireless) about 5 meters from the house. There was a day when I could have both of them on with no issues( both open nat and no lag) but I fear them days are long gone. I cant even get the one in the shed running without lag. The other is slightly better but not great.  I currently have a netgear dgn2200.  looking to upgrade so any ideas would be most welcome!!
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Re: Router

Being as you'll have power in the shed, I'd get a set of powerline adapters rather than use wireless!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
jbmnic

Power line adaptors are a good choice, providing your on the same curcuit. If not have a look at these
http://www.reghardware.com/2012/06/19/review_ten_dual_band_wifi_routers/
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Have a look at these: http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=pd_bxgy_com...
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
chatburger
Grafter

Cheers guys. The Asus RT looks sweet.
I have such a odd setup in my house and so many devices( 3 iPhones, 2xboxes, and a laptop) its hard work trying get it all running especially since I don't have the greatest bt line. ( long line ect ect) So I defiantly need to upgrade something!
What do you mean by on the same circuit?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

I think he means that your shed is powered from the same main as your house.
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Quote from: chatburger
What do you mean by on the same circuit?

It has been suggested that each Power Line Adaptor needs to be on the same ring main but others have said they work across different ring mains in the same property ( houses often have a ring main for the downstairs sockets and another ring main for the upstairs ones).
Edit: or as Kelly says above Smiley
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Quote from: chatburger
Can anyone recommend a good router for gaming?? I have a Xbox upstairs(wired)  and one in the shed(wireless) about 5 meters from the house. There was a day when I could have both of them on with no issues( both open nat and no lag) but I fear them days are long gone. I cant even get the one in the shed running without lag. The other is slightly better but not great.  I currently have a netgear dgn2200.  looking to upgrade so any ideas would be most welcome!!
Thanks

IVe just ordered one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TD-W8960N-300MBPS-Wireless-connections/dp/B0031SUB4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=U... And im a hardcore gamer! Dont go for the newer model as theres some issues around it, the old model works well, read all 300 reviews who mostly rated this 5 star! Ive gone for it as many gamer friends use it and they speak highly of it. Plus atm is only £33 where it was £70 odd.