cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router set up

ITFCdan
Grafter

Router set up

Ok , this last few weeks my connection has been playing up (nothing has changed in my set up)
I'm on the gaming package "your way pro"
A month ago  Download 4  meg+ / Upload 0.5  meg / Ping 20ms    Perfect!
Now                Download  0.5 meg / Upload 0.3 meg / Ping 30-50ms  Not impressed
I have interleaving off / ps3 is in DMZ / static IP
Gaming is still ok UNTIL another application is used ie Laptop , for instance when i'm playing COD MW2 and if the laptop is opening a webpage etc you can see the "connection status"  bars (COD MW2) go from 4 green bars to 1 Red bar maybe for upto 10 seconds, its ridiulous , this was not happening a month ago.
so my question is can i somehow stop the laptop from nicking the bandwidth or whatever is causing this problem , by a setting on my router ?
I have a Netgear DG834G v4 Huh
8 REPLIES 8
Morphies
Dabbler

Re: Router set up

I dont think there's any traffic management on that router so to speak, you could try removing the battery and hiding the charger for the lappy though  Wink
Seriously though, have you tried power cycling your kit? Are you noticing any perticular times of the day when you have a slow connection?
What is being run on the lappy at the same time as the PS3? Nothing P2P orientated?
MW2 connection status is not to be trusted, this is simply your connection status to the host, and is not an indication of the quality of your internet connection.
ITFCdan
Grafter

Just surfing the web causes my ps3 the flip out (COD lag/skipping)  i know the status bars on COD aren't to be completley trusted but its definatley interfering with my connection, from the moment you go to open a page on internet explorer you can watch the bars go down then once the page has opened the bars go back up again, this has begun to happen since my download rate has dropped from 4meg+ to around 0.5 meg ,anytime of the day.
What is power cycling?

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Looking at your first post I would suspect your connection to the exchange.
Can you post the full router stats - speeds, noise margin and attenuation
Morphies
Dabbler

I'm sure oldjim will be able to provide some better answers..
FYI: power cycling is completely rebooting your network kit. turn off the power (completely, not a reboot) to the modem / router / gateway, wait 30 seconds and turn them back on.
ITFCdan
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Looking at your first post I would suspect your connection to the exchange.
Can you post the full router stats - speeds, noise margin and attenuation
Hi where would i find that information? , many thanks.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Open the router page http://192.168.0.1/ and click on "Show Statistics" at the bottom
ITFCdan
Grafter

Well my connection has gone back to its good old self and with that all the problems have disapeared  Cheesy happy days!
Euge
Grafter

Quote from: ITFCdan
connection has gone back to its good old self

You've finally taken down your Christmas decorations then!  Tongue