cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Router problems with ps4 with connection dropping constantly

lisacw

Router problems with ps4 with connection dropping constantly

Hi, my son has a ps4 and his connection breaks off constantly while he is gaming online. He is totally frustrated and i am getting it in the neck!
Spoke to plusnet today who say nothing they can do but said i could port forward from/to the router..?
Im a mum, i haven't got a clue what this means and could desperately do with a step by step guide (in english, notr jargon!) of what i need to do.
We have a technicolour router TG58TN
Can anyone help me please
Lisa
5 REPLIES 5
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Router problems with ps4 with connection dropping constantly

Firstly, are you connected via a cable between the router and PS4 or via Wifi ?
If you are using Wifi, you might want to try a long cable temporarily (around a fiver for 30m) and see if that sorts the issue.
lisacw

Hi Dom, we are using wifi
What kind of cable would we need? Not ideal as would need to run from my bedroom, out onto landing and into his.
picbits
Rising Star

Any CAT5e cable should suffice - if you give me 5 minutes I'll have a look and see if I can find any decent offers for you Smiley
picbits
Rising Star

40m for just under £6 delivered here :
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RJ45-Cat5e-2M-3M-5M-10M-15M-25M-30M-ETHERNET-NETWORK-LAN-Cable-Patch-Lead-...
30m Cat5e for £3.95 delivered here :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAT5e-ETHERNET-NETWORK-PATCH-CABLE/dp/B000IAHNRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1423...
Not affiliated with any of the above but worth a go to see if it helps. You'd need to disable the wifi on the PS4 to make sure you're not accidentally using the wifi instead of the cable.
If it sorts the issue out then possibly look at using mains homeplugs - around £20-£30 but much quicker and more reliable than wifi.
lisacw

Thankyou, will look into these Smiley