cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restrictive NAT

IMikey

Restrictive NAT

I'm playing Age of Empires Online on my PC however I can't join anyones game, due to "being behind a restrictive NAT type". I have tried everything from enabling uPnP and port forwarding the correct ports on my computers firewall. I have searched many, many forums and cannot find an answer. I have contacted the support here and they said to post here for any help. I also have this problem with my Xbox.
Any help would be appreciated, Thanks
5 REPLIES 5
lexusuk
Grafter

Re: Restrictive NAT

Hi IMikey,
This issue is likely to be caused by your router.  It might be an idea to see if you get the same issue when your computer is in the DMZ.  To configure this you should:

• Login to your router at http://192.168.1.254/ . Username: Admin Password: <<Your router serial number>>

• Choose "Home Network"

• Choose "Devices"

• Choose "Assign the public IP address of a connection to a device" and follow the on screen instructions.

Please let us know if the issue continues.
Mathias
Grafter

I would be wary about putting a pc in a DMZ, fine for a console that can't get viruses, but doesn't it open all ports leaving you much more open for attack?
Mangoletsi
Grafter

Hello,
I've come to share my experience so far of gaming online using Plusnet.
When I joined 3 months ago, I found that I was no longer able to game online as the ports seemed to be blocked. I have been gaming online for 11 years and I know how to open my ports and forward them as I have had the same router the past 3 years and had no issues with other ISP's.
I found out that Plusnet automatically block ports using a McAfee firewall in which according to the member centre area you can turn off.
1. I turned it off in the member centre, but ports still blocked.
2. I removed the whole McAffee product in my member centre, but ports still blocked.
Support, didnt really know why it was still blocked and said it was my fault at my end and said to use DMZ aswell which I tried and found plusnet were still blocking my ports.
3 months later, I had already given up when a friend told me he can now see me online. After many tests over the past few days, I can now say it's 100% Plusnet's fault.
There is something wrong with there firewall software control. The IP address is allocated dynamically which means every time you disconnect and reconnect, you receive a different IP address. Here are my results from multiple tests I've done.

When I've been connected to an IP range beginning with 2X.XXX.XXX.XXX, the downspeed is full speed, but the inbound ports are blocked.
When I've beenconnected to an IP range beginning with 4X.XXX.XXX.XXX, the downspeed is 0.6Mb slower, ping times are 16 milli seconds slower, but the inbound ports are open so you can game online.

So all you can do is disconnect and reconnect until you are assigned an IP address beginning with a 4X.XXX.XXX.XXX
Hope this helps others.
Wink
windurst

Quote from: Mangoletsi
Hello,
I've come to share my experience so far of gaming online using Plusnet.
When I joined 3 months ago, I found that I was no longer able to game online as the ports seemed to be blocked. I have been gaming online for 11 years and I know how to open my ports and forward them as I have had the same router the past 3 years and had no issues with other ISP's.
I found out that Plusnet automatically block ports using a McAfee firewall in which according to the member centre area you can turn off.
1. I turned it off in the member centre, but ports still blocked.
2. I removed the whole McAffee product in my member centre, but ports still blocked.
Support, didnt really know why it was still blocked and said it was my fault at my end and said to use DMZ aswell which I tried and found plusnet were still blocking my ports.
3 months later, I had already given up when a friend told me he can now see me online. After many tests over the past few days, I can now say it's 100% Plusnet's fault.
There is something wrong with there firewall software control. The IP address is allocated dynamically which means every time you disconnect and reconnect, you receive a different IP address. Here are my results from multiple tests I've done.

When I've been connected to an IP range beginning with 2X.XXX.XXX.XXX, the downspeed is full speed, but the inbound ports are blocked.
When I've beenconnected to an IP range beginning with 4X.XXX.XXX.XXX, the downspeed is 0.6Mb slower, ping times are 16 milli seconds slower, but the inbound ports are open so you can game online.

So all you can do is disconnect and reconnect until you are assigned an IP address beginning with a 4X.XXX.XXX.XXX
Hope this helps others.
Wink

Yeah the OP didn't ask for a whiiiiine.
I have done the DMZ above but I am really not happy that I have to have the public IP assigned to my PC. Can plusnet please come up with a better solution?
windurst

IMikey - turn off the "extended security" in the upnp section, this is under the tools part of the settings. That changes the NAT from Strict to Open; works an absolute treat for me.