cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Resistance 2 PS3

eattheword
Grafter

Resistance 2 PS3

Anyone else having network problems with Resistance 2 on their PS3?
It won't let me play co-op at all. It gets to the spawning screen and says "Waiting for the host to start the game" then after about 30 seconds says "Network error. Disconnecting from game." My PS3 is connected to a DG834GT with an ethernet cable and is sitting in the DMZ. The weird thing is I had both the private and public betas of R2 and co-op worked for me in  both of them.
Would a Wireshark log help to trace the issue? If so, can anyone tell me how to capture a log of the PS3? I have Wireshark installed on my MacBook Pro.
8 REPLIES 8
_CN_
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Resistance 2 PS3

I'll get this looked at first thing in the morning ..
eattheword
Grafter

ok, I may have got an answer, though some follow up would be appreciated. A while back when I changed from Metronet to Plusnet I noticed that Plusnet recommended setting the router to an MTU of 1400 (I think because it uses PPoA). So, I changed my router's MTU and my PS3's MTU to 1400. As this was the only thing different from when the R2 beta was out (and I could play co-op mode on that) I changed it back last night to 1500 on the router and 'Automatic' on the PS3. Suddenly R2 all works perfectly now and I can get into co-op games.
Could someone from Plusnet advise whether I should change the router back to 1400 and leave the PS3's MTU setting on 'Automatic', or should the router now stay at 1500? I don't know very much about networking but assumed that if Plusnet uses 1400 then setting the router to 1500 would lead to inefficient packet sizing which would then lead to lag during gaming. I could be very very wrong, of course (likely).
James
Grafter

Hiya,
If you keep both the MTU on your Router and the PS3 at 1500, it should be absolutely fine.
I personally use 1430 but it doesn't make that much difference.
eattheword
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Hiya,
If you keep both the MTU on your Router and the PS3 at 1500, it should be absolutely fine.
I personally use 1430 but it doesn't make that much difference.

Okee dokee, thanks.  Smiley It may make little difference in general but it seems to make a huge difference to Resistance 2, that's for sure.  Smiley
While we're here, can someone check also to make sure gaming traffic is prioritised on my line please?
scootie
Grafter

are you on pro package? its not done on a line by line process. they look at what ports and ip adresses a new game uses and add that to the traffic managment data base so that when this traffic hits the ecloya system it gives it the red carpet treatment and says to p2p traffic your not on list your not coming in( door man slang term hehe).
the only thing you can do to improve ping times on your phoneline is to have interleaving turned off.
nbnz

Sorry to "bump" this thread, but I am also having problems with Resistance 2. And it seems ONLY Resistance 2 that I am having problems with.
I play a number of games (Resistance 1, Burnout, Unreal Tournament, Metal Gear Online, etc) with the same group of people within UK. And ONLY this game I get significant lag - and apparently I'm the only one within our group with the lag. It's not the host as he also hosts the other games with no issues whatsoever. I also doubt it's my connection as last night I went from R2 with lag immediately to R1 without lag. It seems it's also not the game due to the others never having the same issue (and appears to be very rare in Resistance forums I have read).
I have tried changing my MTU - was 1458. Tried 1500. Tried 1430.
Is it possible that the ports and/or servers and/or packets for this game specifically aren't registered on the plus.net game priority list?
scootie
Grafter

using this program would let you know if the traffic is proitized right on the network.http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/troubleshooting/wireshark.shtml
i dont know about using it with ps3 but persume its the same as the xbox as in the need to connect the console to a pc and use the pc's internet connection to then run wireshark and capture the traffic data that way.
i set the connection up by pluging my console in to ethernet port on pc and the going to network and share centre on pc and bridge the local connection and my wireless connection.
or some one will post soon thats in the know about this games taffic allready.

didnt read read first few posts where OP says about using wireshark sorry
eattheword
Grafter

Quote from: nbnz
Sorry to "bump" this thread, but I am also having problems with Resistance 2. And it seems ONLY Resistance 2 that I am having problems with.
I play a number of games (Resistance 1, Burnout, Unreal Tournament, Metal Gear Online, etc) with the same group of people within UK. And ONLY this game I get significant lag - and apparently I'm the only one within our group with the lag. It's not the host as he also hosts the other games with no issues whatsoever. I also doubt it's my connection as last night I went from R2 with lag immediately to R1 without lag. It seems it's also not the game due to the others never having the same issue (and appears to be very rare in Resistance forums I have read).
I have tried changing my MTU - was 1458. Tried 1500. Tried 1430.
Is it possible that the ports and/or servers and/or packets for this game specifically aren't registered on the plus.net game priority list?

What is the MTU of your PS3? Make sure it's set to 'Automatic'. Also make sure all the PSN ports are opened or that your PS3 is sitting in your router's DMZ. I find R2 now works flawlessly since I sorted out the MTU issue, so I don't imagine the problem you're having is with Plusnet's priority list.