cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rediculous ping in some online games

kil2k
Dabbler

Rediculous ping in some online games

Hi. I've noticed with certain online games i've had serious issues with ping during prime time, but others are ok. Shadowbane was fine [Servers located in Canada], Regnum Online [EU] was terrible, and Wurm Online was a poor game and impossible to play during EU prime time.
I'm currently playing Darkfall Online. The servers are located in the EU, and if I do a tracert to the game server then there is no issue with ping, but in game i'm getting an insane ping. I just peaked at 275750 ping before I lost connection!!! - http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/4221/insanityr.jpg As soon as prime time hits the game is unplayable, which makes it almost a complete waste of money. Normal ping is 32-47, and normal prime time ping fluctuates between 3,000 and 50,000+...
I did a tracert to the game server whilst my ping in game was rocketing up to 275750. As you can see, the ping is fairly respectable during prime time;
DF game server: - 77.95.25.70:21003
C:\Documents and Settings\kil_2k>tracert 77.95.25.70
Tracing route to 77.95.25.70 over a maximum of 30 hops
  1     3 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  mygateway1.ar7 [192.168.1.1]
  2    21 ms    21 ms    23 ms  lo0 [195.166.128.53]
  3    42 ms    48 ms    23 ms  ge0 [84.92.3.93]
  4    30 ms    26 ms    28 ms  te2 [212.159.1.106]
  5    40 ms    25 ms    35 ms  80.239.193.141
  6    21 ms    21 ms    21 ms  ldn [80.91.248.90]
  7    29 ms    30 ms    45 ms  prs [80.91.254.209]
  8    41 ms    39 ms   157 ms  ffm [80.91.248.70]
  9    41 ms    53 ms    40 ms  ffm [80.91.254.73]
10    39 ms    39 ms    39 ms  gni [213.248.66.70]
11    38 ms    45 ms    39 ms  77.95.25.14
12    42 ms    41 ms    40 ms  77.95.25.70
Trace complete.

Pinging 77.95.25.70 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 77.95.25.70: bytes=32 time=40ms TTL=53
Reply from 77.95.25.70: bytes=32 time=37ms TTL=53
Reply from 77.95.25.70: bytes=32 time=38ms TTL=53
Reply from 77.95.25.70: bytes=32 time=39ms TTL=53
Ping statistics for 77.95.25.70:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0%
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 37ms, Maximum = 40ms, Average = 38ms

Now, the guys I know from America who are connecting to this EU game server are getting around 120 ping normally, and 200 ish in EU prime time. No one else I play online with - NA or EU - has this issue. Several people on the DF forums have the same issue, but can't figure out why.
I've unblocked every port I know the game uses on my router, and I know it's not my firewall causing the issue, so is the issue with my connection? I'm on Broadband Premier Option 1 by the way, which is more expensive than the current top package, Plusnet Pro, and was supposed to be for gamers.
I really hate to say it, because i've been with Plusnet for years, but if I can't get this issue rectified i'm going to have to try switching providers. Even though it was annoying before that I couldn't play a few other games, the main one I played for the last five years was Shadowbane where it wasn't an issue.
Pls help!  Cry

Edit: Added ping
26 REPLIES 26
scootie
Grafter

Re: Rediculous ping in some online games

kil2k
Dabbler

17.6KB/s...
scootie
Grafter

no probs on speed here runing at my line speed.
shaw you dont have a line fault, exchange capicty problems or home network problems causing the high pings?
check your exchange vp capicty here http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
kil2k
Dabbler

It's the same thing at the same time every day unfortunately. No problems with the exchange.
scootie
Grafter

have you manged to download wireshark or have you given up.   at first i would of thought the games are not being picked up right as its peak time your getting the problem but seeing the speed of the wireshark download its got me thinking.
was that normal thing to happen on download speed? is speed ok non peak time like your pings?
whats your line stats from your router?
whats peak time usage limit on your leagacy product and have you gone over it. have you gone into managment levels causing the rate limit.
kil2k
Dabbler

I've downloaded WS, but i'll run it tomorrow at peak times. Gonna log back onto Darkfall in a sec and check the ping rate.
I've submitted the DF server details to PlusNet, so we'll see if that makes a difference at some point too.
Download / Internet speeds vary a lot. Nope, haven't hit the 12Gb management level yet. The line gets restricted slightly after 12Gb peak time usage, but i'm only at 9Gb total [Peak + Off Peak] so far this month. Off Peak usage is unlimited.
zubel
Community Veteran

You can run the wireshark trace at any time of the day - it will still show the categorisation of the traffic which is the important part.
If it's not being classified as gaming (0x80) then you need to submit your trace via the help assistant tool under thee 'misclassified traffic' section.
Should take around a week for the Networks guys to pick it up, get a signature generated and a change control signed off for it.
If you were on the Pro package, you would find all your traffic is categorised as 0x80 or higher, which means that you wouldn't see these problems.
B.
kil2k
Dabbler

Internet Protocol, Src: 77.95.25.69 (77.95.25.69), Dst: 192.168.1.5 (192.168.1.5)
Differentiated Services Field: 0x40 (DSCP 0x10: Class Selector 2; ECN: 0x00)
Silver 0x40 Unclassified traffic
Guess i'll have to wait... At least I know what the issue could possibly be though.
kil2k
Dabbler

Surely though, if I was on the top PlusNet package, everything should be a minimum of Gold traffic, with VoIP and Gaming being Titanium...
I'd love to know what they have done with my package if they have changed it.
scootie
Grafter

gaming is 0xa0 on wireshark.
only check incoming packets as outgoing packets havent bein over PN network yet and as barry said you can do the wireshark at any time as the prioity is the same class 24/7.
barry me thinks youve bein reading the streaming problem thread in broadband speed and bein brain washed by all the 0x60 and 0x80 talk ive bein doing about XBL but thats all to do with the dashboard not the gaming side of XBL
I'm on Broadband Premier Option 1 by the way

its only the pro package that has all traffic in the 0x80 gold and 0xa0 titanium queue's
iam surrpised your a legacy product customer and have not done the wirshark's before now.
how long you bein puting up with the poor peak time pings?
Silver     0x40     Unclassified traffic

do your captures of all games your having problems with and if there not 0xa0 raise a ticket and added the wireshark file.
hope you enjoy your lag free game soon Smiley

kil2k
Dabbler

Quote from: ASBO
gaming is 0xa0 on wireshark.
only check incoming packets as outgoing packets havent bein over PN network yet and as barry said you can do the wireshark at any time as the prioity is the same class 24/7.

That was an incoming packet. The outgoing packet was classified as Bronze traffic.

its only the pro package that has all traffic in the 0x80 gold and 0xa0 titanium queue's

Yeah, maybe, but my package was the equivilent of the new PlusNet Pro package, and costs more, so having a worse service is ridiculous. I can't remember exactly what the speed limitations were on my package, and it's info that isn't on the site any more. It was then, just like PlusNet Pro is now, the top package and built for gaming / downloading. I didn't even know the packages had changed until trying to find a solution to this issue today.
scootie
Grafter

you should come for a cuppa with us forum guys more often and keep upto date. you've bein suffering with this problem that could of bein sorted along time ago.
hope we see you around more often  Smiley
i will try and dig the info up for you product as things changed alot when new products was launched
heres link to the old products info http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/products/archive/index.shtml
and if you are looking to change package this will help you see the diffrent traffic shaping caps on products http://www.kitz.co.uk/isp/plusnet_shaping2.htm if you compare the new unlimited bear in mind where is says 2mb capped gaming that its still titanium. i have no problems with XBL on unlimited but as your a pc gamer you might find the pro packages suit more.
pro has peak at 8am to midnight thoe where your current package has 4pm- midnight i think
give us shout if you decide to change product and want to know more info of a package your thinking of moving to as things like contracts have changed now. ie unlimited is 18 months for new customers and for old customers upgrading its 12 months(no free router,no free house move)
kil2k
Dabbler

Well, for the sake of a couple of quid a month, "upgrading" doesn't seem like a good deal at all if it's going to tie me in to a 12 or 18 month contract. An extra 8 hours per day peak time would also push my peak time usage through the roof, and i'd end up getting throttled every month. I've been with PlusNet since June 2005, and stayed with them because the customer service was excellent. Since the BT takeover though i'm seeing changes I don't like at all. My original package was a 1 month rolling contract, which suited me perfectly.
When I compare the current packages to someone like Virgin Media, it diesn't look so great. I have no idea what their customer service is like, and I doubt it will be anywhere near as good, but I can get the top TV package + 20Mb [soon to be 50Mb] fiber optic Broadband + Home phone for only slightly more than i'm currently paying for my Internet + PlusNet phone package.
scootie
Grafter

well i stay with plusnet due to my XBL gaming being tip top this is my main need of an isp.
but if price,bandwidth,tv ect is somthing you need then you need to weigh the the pros an cons of any new isp.
not in decade of sundays would i trust VM with my gaming traffic.
make sure you do your homework on any isp b4 signing up.
ie VM do thottle you whole line speed if you use more than a set amount in peak time and dont release your line till off peak again. i think it works out somthing like 5-8mins of maxing your line out b4 it gets thottled for the evening. and that's line speed not packet level managment you get here so streaming ect gets capped as well