Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recent switch to Plusnet, online gaming is almost unusable

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Recent switch to Plusnet, online Xbox gaming is almost unusable

If you are using the PN Hub1 then it won't respond to pings, but you can put a device in the DMZ that will, as long as its switched on. If you are using your own router, you will need to enable pings on the router.

Ooops, too slow !

shevek
Grafter

Smiley

The Archer routers have a completely different firmware from all their other models

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

I use an Archer C5 V1.2 and just said where mine appears. Looks like the later Archers changed again. Smiley

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
shevek
Grafter

Ah, OK... Maybe it's the VRs that have the new firmware...

I have an older TP-Link DSL/3G router and a couple of their wifi extenders that all share the same green banded firmware pages.

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

TP-Link haven't updated the C5 v1.2 since April 2015 Sad hence the simple interface.

I have thought of using the open-wrt firmware as the C5 V1.2 is the same as the C7 (WiFi chip wise) and share the same code base. But concerned about the impact of no hardware NAT on my solid 75/19 line.

Why do manufactures stop updating stuff less than 12 months after it goes on sale?

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
shevek
Grafter

I have often noticed a correlation between firmware updates stopping and new product releases! Angry

St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

@shevek Welcome to the forums always nice too see more gamers around here Wink Shame you having problems, up until 2 months ago gaming and everyday surfing has always been great here. I would like to say give them a chance to fix it but im unsure these days. Plusnet used to be great now its hit and miss Crazy3 the best thing atm is the community here....... everyones like family helping each other and what not Wink 

shevek
Grafter

I'm really in 2 minds at the moment

Reading through the mega-thread it seems to be a widespread issue with lots of promises to fix coming to naught. 

I'd like to see it out and hope it comes through but the longer I leave it the less chance I have to argue getting out of my contract if I need to if things don't get resolved Sad

St3
Aspiring Champion

Well its like this they have to fix it otherwise theres going to be a big backlash in media and in customers leaving. Its down to you, im sticking it out too see if things improve but if they get worse or stay the same over the next couple of months then i will also be looking for a new isp.

shevek
Grafter

Fair point. But how long will it take? 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year...???

It seems to have been an issue since early/mid August for some people

As a new customer I have some leverage for leaving as they are not providing the service. The longer I leave it the less that leverage is

St3
Aspiring Champion

it does but the old saying is things get worse before they get better again. See if any of the forum staff can help you tomorrow there normally really good. Plusnet are getting alot of negative feedback atm so we can only hope they listen and get their ass into gear.

shevek
Grafter

OK, so I now have some data from TBB and I am showing a constant low level packet loss and quite a few spikes in latency Sad

My Broadband Ping - Plusnet

shevek
Grafter

I am currently in line on the online support chat to see if I can get a static IP 

Been queuing for an hour and currently down to 8th from 24th

shevek
Grafter

I just spoke to PN support and got switched to a static IP.

Once my boy gets home from school and starts hammering his Xbox I'll soon see if it's made any difference.

Here's the new TBB monitor for the static IP

My Broadband Ping - Plusnt static