cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Really bad ping issue's started 4 days ago ....

Kipps

Really bad ping issue's started 4 days ago ....

Been with Plusnet over a year now with no problems what so ever - 4 nights ago (6/8/13) I've started to get really bad ping spikes and lag from around 20.00 GMT until around 23.00 GMT when trying to play any online game (PC based games)
I have changed nothing with regards to my router or PC setup etc
Anyone from Plusnet got any idea's what may be causing this ?Huh
9 REPLIES 9
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Really bad ping issue's started 4 days ago ....

Not enough information to help
Is your connection adsl or fibre, if adsl what is you connection speed
What games
Does  the game use dedicated servers, if so what is the IP address of the one/s you are lagging on
Is it only you online at the time, or do you share your connection
If you share and they are online as well, do they use netflix/lovefilm etc
Do you use any form of p2p application e.g. IPlayer downloading in background / utorrent still running
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Kipps

Is your connection adsl or fibre, if adsl what is you connection speed - ASDL 3mb
What games - Any Game I play (Currently playing Star Conflict and a couple of other MMO style games - Lag is bad in all games Ive tried )
Does  the game use dedicated servers, if so what is the IP address of the one/s you are lagging on - No Idea on this one - How would I find out ?
Is it only you online at the time, or do you share your connection Its only me who use's this connection, not shared
If you share and they are online as well, do they use netflix/lovefilm etc - N/A
Do you use any form of p2p application e.g. IPlayer downloading in background / utorrent still running - Yes, but nothing is running in the background (Im not that dumb lol)
Gus
Aspiring Pro

http://forum.star-conflict.com/index.php?/topic/18807-game-high-ping-disconnects-and-similar-problem...
it has a number of servers, I am guessing you join the nearest, so run a ping trace to Node01ovh-ge.star-conflict.com and Node01sl-nl.star-conflict.com to see if its PN routing gone wrong or out with their control.
If you can choose which node you join, then the 2 hosted in Germany/NL would be best, the Russian one won't be and the US one is even worse.  It has a external ping in excess of 160ms for me, once you join it that will be 180-200 if not more.
From what I remember its a pvp game going by a video review a while back, so don't play on the US hosted server as you will be cannon fodder.
Kipps

Thanks Gus - I will give that try tomorrow evening if it plays up again - Just for info though There are 3 servers we play on regularly - 1 being EU based ... myping is normally a stable 30 - 40. 1 being the Russian server ... My ping is a stable 70 - 80 and the final being American - I get a stable ping of around 150 - 160 (And its still playble ... just !)
My internet runs fine for 20 hrs of the day - Just around the times I mentioned earlier my ping goes crazy wih spikes. Somethings changed recently but I do not know what
Kipps

Heres a quick screen shot showing where I think the problem is
Gus
Aspiring Pro

The attached is what I get.  I would run a wireshark capture and submit it for review.  They will want it from the game starting and to the point of you getting into a server.
Kipps

Problem is even worse tonight. Gus when you say submit for review - who / where do I sumbit it to ?
Gus
Aspiring Pro

There is a ticket option on the portal, you will need to zip it to attach it.  Note it needs to be less than 3meg in size iirc
Kipps

Yet again I cannot even connect to any game server tonight . Ive raised a support ticket - Any idea's on how long problems like this get resolved in ?